Pulsation/ surge when accelerating

99screaminregal

Took my "new" Regal GS to work the other day and got this pulsation in the engine when I was going up an incline.

At a little under 65, lightly accelerating to go up, it surged a few times and leveled out on top of hill.

Now it's starting to do a little on flat ground at light accel.

Friend who has a Comp G told me plugs. I thought maybe the S/C cuz the coupled needs replaced but throttle wasn't enough to boost.

Just got it a few days ago. Dealer's service report showed new MAP sensor installed. Nothing else done. Oil wasn't even changed (not that it matters).

Thoughts??

EGR? I've had a few 3800 cars do this and the egr valve was weak and opening too much. Unplug and drive and see if the surge goes away. Will cause the check engine lite to come on of course.

Engine light came on other day and said MAP fail but, it was replaced. Got a new one and didn't change a thing. Found that the air box snorkle wasn't even attached so put my WAI on, calmed it down. Then, replaced the MAP and nothing. Looked at the EGR and the gasket looks new. Read the troubleshooting guide in my Haynes guide and found that I took care of one poss w/ air intake. Also said fuel filter or pump. Pump sounds good, so I'll try the filter.

It's like I'm revving the throttle to make it continuously jump. Not a missfire. Had that with the Cutty a few weeks ago. Sputttered and chugged horribly due to 2 dying plugs covered in gas and oil.

Big sigh, $10 fixes are so nice. Fuel filter replaced and some Lucas injector cleaner. Ran great this morning. No surge up the hills it did it on. I will keep an eye out on the converter info though. Thanks Chris!

Just to be doing it, maybe also pull the plug wires, one at a time, from the ignition coils to have a look if all the posts look good. Sometimes when those things get corroded, it can cause intermittent misfires until the coil fails completely.

I had that problem on a 99 lesabre years ago but ignored it until it started running really crappy

That is what I was thinking. One thing I've been noticing is the SC gauge has been fluxing a lot when it didn't before. Anywhere btwn .5- 2 psi. Usually sits at 0 under idle speeds. Would the fact that a loose coupler be causing this issue?? I took the belt off the other day and noticed a good bit of slack from the pulley. Or could it be the fuel I'm using? Just been using regular b/c prem. is so expensive.

Sooooooo......... I'm a gonna guess that's my problem :damnit1: Cuz I put a new filter on and put Lucas cleaner in which makes the fuel burn a little higher and cleaner. Hmmmmmmmmm. Soooo, prem. will probably take the rest of the knock out at that point of acceleration. Like I said, first supercharged car.

Ok, had 1/4 tank of regular left and filled up w/ prem. last night. But, before to doing so, the car would not fire when I got out of a store I was in. So, had it towed home and tried starting it again and fired right up.

Went and put some gas in and ran fine until this morning. Went to start and all it did was crank. Pumped the pedal a few times and fired up. Then almost to work and I felt it stall real quick. Could that be the sending unit??

Also, I just changed the fuel filter, should I replace it again now that I'm running prem.??

So, update. Dead friday night, just cranked. Got it home, started. Car was on decline. Sunday night, pushed pedal, barely moved. Died in parking lot. This morning, took cai off and put air box on, started right up, no prob. Had it towed to dealer I got it from and their techs are looking at it. Hope all goes well.

UPDATE. Ok, full tank of premium, a bottle and then some of Lucas and starts up every time now. Still pulses at 60-65, after down shift to pass or going up a hill. Noticing it more btwn 3rd and 4th. Going to have a fluid test Monday. Oil, coolant, trans fluid and filter changes and flushings. Maybe it just needs a new tranny filter change. Looking thecat over, I believe I have another rescue on my hands that needs a little TLC. Let's jus hope it doesn't end up like the last one I had.

So, update. Dead friday night, just cranked. Got it home, started. Car was on decline. Sunday night, pushed pedal, barely moved. Died in parking lot. This morning, took cai off and put air box on, started right up, no prob. Had it towed to dealer I got it from and their techs are looking at it. Hope all goes well.

you broke the most important rule and went to the dealership.

change the plugs. always/every time, first thing to check is the plugs. make sure and torque to spec.