What size steel wheels will fit the Grand Prix?

runt

2001 Grand Prix GT.

I'm running the stock 225/60/16's now. I'm curious if I can squeeze a 15" rim on the car for winter tires. I have an old neighbor at a JY who I'm probably gonna call and see if I can get a decent hook up.

I've NEVER bought winter tires before but the roads around here aren't cared for like they used to be so it's time...

Thanks guys.

Yes you can.

To the best of my knowledge all '97-03 Grand Prix's will support 15" rims.

Common winter size is 205/70R15's for steelies.

If you want to guage (this isn't overly scientific)

Look at the gap between brake caliper and wheel.

16 inch is diameter, so when you're looking at the caliper, you want radius. You're reducing the radius by 0.5" - and it should fit in that tolerance if you use your eyes and a ruler/tape measure.

Well....I have a set of 15 inch steelies on the 2000 for the winter and they fit fine. IIRC, the GP SE's came with 15 inch steelies w/ hubcaps....so I don't see there being any issues.

Well....I have a set of 15 inch steelies on the 2000 for the winter and they fit fine. IIRC, the GP SE's came with 15 inch steelies w/ hubcaps....so I don't see there being any issues.

You have to watch with these kinds of things, appearances can be decieving. I have yet to find a 2001+ GP SE with anything but 16" rims. They may exist, but I haven't seen any.

I can confirm that they work, but it's often costly making assumptions that all things remain the same despite appearances, especially with so many changes going into the 2001 model year.

This one is fine, but it's never good to assume.

15" snow tires (or any tires) are much cheaper to buy as well:

$100.49 X 4 = $402.00 for the 15's.

$124.99 X 4 = $500.00 for the stock 16 size.

I'm using Goodyear Nordic's as an example here (you don't have them in the states so don't worry).

I'm going to buy whatever the garage by my house recommends. :lol: They sell enough stuff and I trust them.

Called one JY, he said that 15's should work. They are about $45/wheel. A touch more than I was hoping...

I'm going to buy whatever the garage by my house recommends. :lol: They sell enough stuff and I trust them.

Called one JY, he said that 15's should work. They are about $45/wheel. A touch more than I was hoping...

What the hell?? I've never been anywhere that would charge more than $25-$35 for an alloy. Most places I go to charge $10-$15 for a steelie.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Talked to our purchasing guy here and he said that's the going rate around here. I'm gonna check local classifieds first to see if anything turns up...

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Talked to our purchasing guy here and he said that's the going rate around here. I'm gonna check local classifieds first to see if anything turns up...

For the record, I paid $150 for a set of GP 5 spokes not too long ago. One had some of the paint chipping on it, so I'll likely strip them all in the spring and paint them again or have them powdercoated, but the other 3 are great, and one still had a tire with over 50% tread left. I didn't know that one had some of the paint peeling when I bought them, but by that time I had driven 2 hours to get them so I wasn't going to tell the guy no even though he said they were in great shape.

I can't score a set of wheels like that anywhere for that price. I'm better off to just dump the $200 into steel wheels and try to save some on the snows. I would just hate to have to unmount my all seasons for a few months. The JY's around here are TERRIBLE for selling used wheels for way too much. I've checked local classifieds on lunch and did not see anything worth even calling about. *sigh* Just makes the past month and a half even harder with money but ohhhhhh well!

So here is my latest news:

I can get 4 15" Steel wheels from one yard for $45. They would be in wednesday or thursday.

I can get 4 15" Steel wheels from another yard for $35. I have to call ahead so they can pull them

But...

I can get 4 225/60/16 tires (winter, not sure what brand) for $445 installed. I'd have them put on my existing rims and the place would put my all seasons on in the spring for free.

I can get 4 205/70/15 tires (winter, again not sure what) for $339 installed. Naturally I'd have to buy the steel wheels for them.

I mean I'm just under $100 cheaper for going 15" just for tires but I'll have $140 + tax into steel wheels. Right about now is the time I'm wishing I would never have gotten rid of my old cutlass sawblade wheels, although I think the offset was quite different so they may not have worked.

Anyway...my thoughts are to pickup a set of steel wheels and get the 15's. That way I can just swap when I need to/want to and if I get rid of the GP I can always sell the wheels + tires and maybe make some money back.

Yeah. Now I might hit up that state college deal if I do need to replace the one that got hit today. Not sure if it's bent yet, I'll find out shortly on my way home from work. It hit flush enough that I'm hoping it was all just noise. :lol:

I could only wish that those deals weren't 2+ hours away from the steelies!

Well it's at the garage. I think the control arm is bent. Couldn't go over 30mph on the way home or the ass end was all over the place. I'm hoping they look at it tomorrow. Hopefully don't need a new wheel but at this point who knows. It's too damn wintery for me to even consider getting under it. Not like I would anyway.

The garage where the car is at said they will simply remount the tires for me in the spring for nothing. Fuck having a second set of wheels to worry about. I'd rather just store tires in my basement. Easier to move around too. I'm gonna order the snows tomorrow and be done with it.

I didn't hear noise like a busted bearing but with the way the car drove on the way home I could have easily missed it too.

Nope. I guess I lucked out there.

Driving my mother's 03 Bonneville SLE for a few days. Too bad I couldn't sell the GP and just buy this from her! Refinements are soo much smoother than my GP.

The garage where the car is at said they will simply remount the tires for me in the spring for nothing. Fuck having a second set of wheels to worry about. I'd rather just store tires in my basement. Easier to move around too. I'm gonna order the snows tomorrow and be done with it.

I didn't hear noise like a busted bearing but with the way the car drove on the way home I could have easily missed it too.

Are you planning on getting the tires mounted and dismounted there every changeover...or is this just for now to buy you time to find a good, second set of wheels?