1991 GTP Factory Sound System

chevelle3504speed

Hey guys,

I recently bought a '91 GTP that has the factory cassette player. I just had the cassette player fixed, and it works fine, but I'm not real impressed with the sound quality. It has 6 speakers and has the factory amp mounted underneath the center of the dash. The bass is not real clear and is rather "boomy." I've certainly had other GM stereos that have sounded better than this one. Is this just the way those were from the factory? I replaced the factory 6X9s with polk audio 3 way 6X9s and I cannot tell a difference in the least. I would really like to keep the factory head unit becasue I love the appearance of it in the interior. Is it possible to wire a later model bose amp up to work with the factory head unit?

Thanks,

Andy

Hey guys,

I recently bought a '91 GTP that has the factory cassette player. I just had the cassette player fixed, and it works fine, but I'm not real impressed with the sound quality. It has 6 speakers and has the factory amp mounted underneath the center of the dash. The bass is not real clear and is rather "boomy." I've certainly had other GM stereos that have sounded better than this one. Is this just the way those were from the factory? I replaced the factory 6X9s with polk audio 3 way 6X9s and I cannot tell a difference in the least. I would really like to keep the factory head unit becasue I love the appearance of it in the interior. Is it possible to wire a later model bose amp up to work with the factory head unit?

Thanks,

Andy

JL audio makes the best stock stereo interface I can think of right now. does your deck have the eq?

Use a Memphis 6ix or a JL Cleansweep to interface with the factory stereo then a 4 channel amp to power your interior speakers. Dont bother messing with a Bose system. It would be pretty much impossible to get it to work with your car and Bose is garbage anyhow.

Yes, my cassette has the eq. It may be that the speakers are just crap. Is the factory cassette player with eq buld by JL? I have a cassette player out of an '89 Caddy, biult by Blaupunkt, in my '93 G20 conversion van that sounds far superior to the GP's. I think I'm going to put the head unit from my G20 in the GP and see what that does for it.

Thanks,

Andy

The JL Cleansweep and Memphis 6ix are high quality line output converters. They tie into the factory speakers and give you the equivilant rca preout voltage of a high end aftermarket deck. Generally around a 8v preout. Allowing you to put in a amp for the interior speakers, a sub or both. I have a 5 channel amp running in my 89 TGP, running a 6.5" component set up front (mids in the doors tweeters in the dash), ,6x9s in the rear and 2 12" subs in the trunk. Sounds phenomenal.