Parked for the winter... top up or top down?

meteng

parking my 93 'vert in the garage for the winter. Not heated, but attached / tuck under garage. I have a cover on the car. In summer, I rarely put the top up (window seals would leak in the rain anyway.)

Should I put the top up for the winter, or is it OK to leave it down? Any extra stress on any parts either way?

THANKS for the advice!

Chris

Uh, oh. drove the car around a little bit today for the last time this year. Went to put the top up... and heard a "pop" from the passenger side of the top. Guess I have something to fix over the winter.

Looks like a 1 1.4" diameter (guesstimate) aluminum cast or pot-metal bushing of some sort. Appears to be one of the largest connecting pieces - snapped off. Pictures show what I'm talking about (assuming I attached them correctly.

So... I suspect I'm not the only one with this problem. What parts do I need? Are they available new, or do I need to beg people to get them out of junkyards for me? Can I do the work myself, or is this a nightmare to repair?

THANKS for the help!!

Chris

post-5146-143689054952_thumb.jpg

post-5146-143689054966_thumb.jpg

post-5146-143689054979_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that sure doesn't look very friendly! I doubt you'd be able to come across the piece new (most vert. specific parts aren't available from the dealership), unless you have one custom made. Where are you located? There's a vert in a junk yard in Flint MI, should have the piece you need! If the weather was a bit nicer I'd go take a look at it, but it looks to be freezing for the rest of the year... :-(

Good luck with it though! At least it's put away for the winter and you don't have to worry about it being an urgent problem!

-Tim

Hey Tim, you're in davison? I'm in Flint and will be working at the Menards that's gonna open there in the spring (currently at Clio). What yard has a vert? The last time I went to Complete on Dort they had one, but that's the only one I saw, that was probably 2 months ago. I didn't know there was any other members close by!

I'd like to figure out what the part number is for the piece I need. Anyone know where I can find a schematic or exploded-view part diagram for the convertible top framework?

I have a service manual, but it does not include the convertible top specific parts.

THANKS!

Chris