Transmission Fluid types Pro's and Con's ?

Highmilagecutlass

Dex III or Dex VI ? I am dropping the pan next weekend and will be changing the filter.

My Cutlass is a 1994 Supreme 3100 with 330,000 miles on the original engine and 110,000 mile since the transmission rebuild. After following some of the post here I added a transmission cooler, plumbed in series with the cooler radiator.

I think my transmission has Dex III in it right now.

Thanks in advance

Shawn :thumbsup:

x2 on the Dexron 6. I put it in my GTP 2 years ago and w/ 132K miles (racing it for the last 55K miles or so) it still upshifts & downshifts like it was new.

330K? :eek:

i would go with Dex6... according to GM docs, it has quite a few advantages over III....

and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Robert

Is there any brand that I should look for ? also do you know if the transmission filter kit that they sell at Autozone has a cork gasket or the neoprene type ?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

x2 on the Dexron 6. I put it in my GTP 2 years ago and w/ 132K miles (racing it for the last 55K miles or so) it still upshifts & downshifts like it was new.

Thanks 9Lumina6

I am going to try the Dex 6. But first I'll spend some time on the internet looking for the best brand at a decent price :thumbsup: btw..nice car

i know the WIX filter i got a few years ago for the 60E had a cork gasket... couldn't tell you what other brands would use though.

Cool

I know WIX make that makes really good oil filters but I didnt know that they made transmission filters.

The WIX filters come with a cork gasket. If your transmission still has the OEM reusable rubber gasket, I would reuse it if it is still good. On the other hand, you can probably get the high quality re-usable gasket new for about $50 from a dealer... or....... $1 like I do from the local PAPs. Every tranny I service gets a re-usable gasket installed if it does not have one when I open it.

Dex VI all the way. Congrats on the high mileage. I had an 05 Grand Prix with 213K before I fell asleep driving it and totaled it.

Keep 'er running good!

just because fluid says dex6 on it doesn't mean it meeets gm specs properly. Get the fluid from gm.

How is that possible? I used supertec dex VI............. Noticed substantial improvements in both applications I've used it in.

The WIX filters come with a cork gasket. If your transmission still has the OEM reusable rubber gasket, I would reuse it if it is still good. On the other hand, you can probably get the high quality re-usable gasket new for about $50 from a dealer... or....... $1 like I do from the local PAPs. Every tranny I service gets a re-usable gasket installed if it does not have one when I open it.

Thanks for your input..I really like the PAP's idea. Also I'm not sure if I should just do a pan drop or try to swap all of the fluid for Dex VI ?

The transmission has well over 100,000 since I had the transmission rebuilt and I dont know what the trans shop put in it ?

Also I got the advice for the trans cooler from something that something you posted to another member !:thumbsup:

How is that possible? I used supertec dex VI............. Noticed substantial improvements in both applications I've used it in.

This is how:

http://www.gm.com/vehicles/innovation/powertrain-technology/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_30NO07.doc

You can't go wrong with the factory ACDelco stuff, but there are aftermarket GM LICENSED fluids, but just because it says Dexron VI on the bottle doesn't mean its the same stuff. The licensed fluids were tested by GM (or whomever makes the stuff for GM) to be as good or better than Dexron VI and safe to use.

I'm still not convinced that Dex VI is THAT much better in the older transmissions. When I changed the fluid in the regal I just used plain old Dex III and it shifts beautifully. I highly doubt that spending 3 times as much on fluid that wasn't even around when these transmissions were first made is going to make that much of a difference.

By all means if you can afford it and it makes you feel better, use the Dex VI. But remember... the car has 300k freaking miles on it. You have NO idea what may happen to the thing. What happens if you get done putting all this nice expensive tranny fluid in it, and 2 weeks later the engine spins a rod and you junk the car? I'd be PISSED if I just spend a bundle on unnecessary trans. fluid when I could have just used the recommended fluid that can be purchased for much cheaper.

I used Valvoline Dex VI to fill my GP after the full trans rebuild and also used it on my 01 aurora when I did a pan drop a few months ago.

It is amazing in the GP....but it didn't do much for the aurora.....that trans is a piece of fuck even though it has 50k miles and a aftermarket trans cooler on it.

You cannot sell "Dexron VI" transmission fluid without it being licensed from GM.

You can say "SUITABLE IN USE WHERE DEX VI IS APPLICABLE", but you cannot come out and call it "Dex VI". FWIW, the SuperTech stuff is GM licensed.

i used the super tech and really for like 3bucks a quart its not much more than dex3. didnt notice any difference either but i figured i might as well put the new stuff in since the cost is nearly identical.

You cannot sell "Dexron VI" transmission fluid without it being licensed from GM.

You can say "SUITABLE IN USE WHERE DEX VI IS APPLICABLE", but you cannot come out and call it "Dex VI". FWIW, the SuperTech stuff is GM licensed.

I was waiting for you to chime in. THANK YOU!! Hmm Supertech for like $3/qt or actual GM for like $8/qt? I'll take identical trans fluid for $3/qt, Alex!

i used the super tech and really for like 3bucks a quart its not much more than dex3. didnt notice any difference either but i figured i might as well put the new stuff in since the cost is nearly identical.

Where can I buy super tech ? or is castrol dexVI the same ?:confused:

Ugh, even though it says Dex 6 and shows licensed from GM, doesnt mean itt uses the same additive package as the GM Dex 6. Thats the difference.

Being licensed just means its 'compatible', not the same:thumbsup:

Thanks Bob, I'm doing pan drop this weekend and I have enough time to shop around and find the best DexVI for the money.

Do you think I should add some type of conditioner before I drain it or after ? :confused: