• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• xtremerevolution

• BXX

• jeremy

Have you looked at Kumhos at all? The ASX's are fairly well priced and they perform pretty darn well.

Edit...just noticed you bought tires already, right when I posted this. Which ones did you end up getting?

Edited by xtremerevolution

Actually no. I meant that. I've heard good things about Yokohama tires in general.

Ok I figured, but couldn't tell for sure, lol. Thanks! I'm super excited!

BFGoodrich does make a good tire. Personally, I swear by Goodyear as does most of my family. My dad is the oddball who swears by Michelin. And before anyone brings up my Z34, I didn't buy the Yokohama's it has on. but the Yoko's have to go asap as well. I'm leaning towards these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT&partnum=26VR6GT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1995&autoModel=Monte%20Carlo&autoModClar=

BFGoodrich does make a good tire. Personally, I swear by Goodyear as does most of my family. My dad is the oddball who swears by Michelin. And before anyone brings up my Z34, I didn't buy the Yokohama's it has on. but the Yoko's have to go asap as well. I'm leaning towards these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT&partnum=26VR6GT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=1995&autoModel=Monte%20Carlo&autoModClar=

You missed something...

Most people here swear against Goodyear, and I'm one of them. The Bonneville GXP came with them, RS-A's. They last people typically 20-30k miles, if not less on these cars, and they cost $270+ EACH on Rockauto, while providing piss poor and shit grip in ice, snow, wet, and dry traction. Best of all, they're labeled as all season tires. TireRack rating is 5.5 out of 10, which is absolutely terrible. These are some of the things people have to say about them:

27,000+ miles and the tires are wore out (factory tires) and I have religously rotated since I bought the car new in 2008. Very poor handling in snow, rain, or ice as they do not grip and literally the car pushes straight when trying to turn on snow. Perfecet road conditions they handle well, but a great deal of road noise.I would not recommend to anyone!

Any sort of rain or snow and your not going anywhere quick

These tires came on my car from the dealer and is terrible except they lasted for 20k miles so far which is the only good thing......terrible in the rain

Just come from the dealer who changed my snow tires to my original eagle rs-A tires and they are worn down to the tread bar already. These tires only have 15,000 miles on them. I would not put these tires on my car for this reason. We have these on a Mazda.

OEM on my M3. Can't wait to replace them. Decent dry traction. Not acceptable wet or snow traction. Doesn't grab well on initial takeoff--tires easily spin, even on dry roads. Good cornering when it's dry. Seems to hydroplane easily--doesn't inspire confidence. Completely worn out at 20,000 miles, and I don't drive THAT hard. Never run on track. Can't believe people would buy these as an after market replacement! Avoid.

this tire is a piece of crap. It wears off really fast. it doesn't have any good area where it excels. At about 12000 miles they were almost bald.

I would have to be downright retarded to buy a set of Goodyear tires for $270 that will be rated as all season tires, only to provide me shitty wet, snow, and ice traction, and last me barely 20k miles. I have to admit I have never had such a bad experience with tires in my life.

The Kumho ASX's I put on to replace them are WORLDS better in all conditions, and less than half the price.

I won't ever buy goodyear tires. The whole "MADE IN USA" bit does nothing but inflate their prices and deflate their quality. I will admit the Assurance Triple Treads on my girls S80 are decently capable of a mix of ride, handling, and wear, but they've been wearing MUCH faster than their treadwear rating would suggest. And don't even get me started on Michelin. Another brand I will not buy.

The last set of good all-around tires I bought were for the SSEi, Starfire SF380's or something. Cooper tires manufactured them. I really liked them, $223 for a set of 4 and they were very nice overall tires.

I won't ever buy goodyear tires. The whole "MADE IN USA" bit does nothing but inflate their prices and deflate their quality. I will admit the Assurance Triple Treads on my girls S80 are decently capable of a mix of ride, handling, and wear, but they've been wearing MUCH faster than their treadwear rating would suggest. And don't even get me started on Michelin. Another brand I will not buy.

The last set of good all-around tires I bought were for the SSEi, Starfire SF380's or something. Cooper tires manufactured them. I really liked them, $223 for a set of 4 and they were very nice overall tires.

That's the big kicker here; the price. Michelin and Goodyear IMO have always been severely overpriced. I've had great experiences so far with Kumho, Firestone, and Pirelli. I would pick up a Firestone tire any day. I would have replaced the tires on the Bonneville with another set of RS-A's...if they were $90 a pop.

The BFGoodrich KDWS's were on sale for a month or so for $82 per tire. I'm kicking myself so hard now for not stocking up when they were that low.

Got to my favorite tire shop to find out that "They don't mount customer-supplied new tires due to insurance regulations" So I had to go elsewhere. I specifically told the new place I wanted static weights, sure enough they fuck that up. They are however getting me an awesome deal on a new hub assembly.

This car handles very strangely now. Lots of body roll going into a corner but after that it's glued. Hopefully an alignment will help which I'll get Thursday morning.

Got to my favorite tire shop to find out that "They don't mount customer-supplied new tires due to insurance regulations" So I had to go elsewhere. I specifically told the new place I wanted static weights, sure enough they fuck that up. They are however getting me an awesome deal on a new hub assembly.

This car handles very strangely now. Lots of body roll going into a corner but after that it's glued. Hopefully an alignment will help which I'll get Thursday morning.

I doubt an alignment will help. You'll need to look at bushings: control arms, lateral links, sway bars. Also check for the presence (or lack of) strut tower bars on the front and rear, and verify that your tires were properly inflated.

Also check your shocks to see what condition they're in.

Edited by xtremerevolution

His struts wont majically cause excessive roll issues after new tire install:roll: An alignment CAN help.. shit tires handle odd and he was prolly used to it with the alignment out already. New tires with a bad alignment will cause the car to handle funny.

Buck, first thing I would do after a tire install and the car handles weird is go check the lugnut torque.. 100ftlbs

Static balance equals sticky weights.. Looks nice and keeps the lip from corroding, but the balance is no where as accurate as a good dynamic balance with hammer weights. Buck, they might have taken what you said and misunderstood.. You may have a static balance with hammer on weights...

Take it back, have them redo the balance properly.. Tell them to sticky weight da biatch! Also, they might have the tire pressure set at mfg spec of 30psi. From my experience, 30psi on our heavy ass cars can cause too much sidewall roll during corning.. Try 40psi, test drive. If It seems good, try 35psi. Between those 2 pressure settings should give you good response and low tire sidewall roll which not having a super harsh ride..

Sure enough they're at 30.

I also forgot the brace above the battery is off, that might have something to do with it

His struts wont majically cause excessive roll issues after new tire install:roll: An alignment CAN help.. shit tires handle odd and he was prolly used to it with the alignment out already. New tires with a bad alignment will cause the car to handle funny.

Buck, first thing I would do after a tire install and the car handles weird is go check the lugnut torque.. 100ftlbs

Static balance equals sticky weights.. Looks nice and keeps the lip from corroding, but the balance is no where as accurate as a good dynamic balance with hammer weights. Buck, they might have taken what you said and misunderstood.. You may have a static balance with hammer on weights...

Take it back, have them redo the balance properly.. Tell them to sticky weight da biatch! Also, they might have the tire pressure set at mfg spec of 30psi. From my experience, 30psi on our heavy ass cars can cause too much sidewall roll during corning.. Try 40psi, test drive. If It seems good, try 35psi. Between those 2 pressure settings should give you good response and low tire sidewall roll which not having a super harsh ride..

Please don't roll your eyes at me. I have absolutely no idea how his car handled before. For all I know, its been sitting for a long ass time and is barely driven.

Please do explain how a poor alignment will cause excessive body roll. I'm not at all understanding the science behind that claim at all. Now if the alignment is bad due to parts that need replacing, that's a different story.