1.5 Gen Lumina/Monte Rear Strut Replacement

3pt1lumina

Next on the agenda is to do rear struts on my dad's 98 Z34 and my 96 Lumina. Both cars have acquired the typical "clunking" in the rear end. I am assuming I need to replace the strut, mount and hardware. Never done this before, so I need a run down on:

- Where is the best place to get parts?

- What do I need besides the struts, mounts and hardware?

- How do I do this? Tools?

Did a search, couldn't seem to come up with anything. Thanks in advance!

1.) Best place for parts would be RockAuto, Amazon, or simply your local parts store if you need them right now.

2.) Not much really, unless you find other bad parts along the way (brakes; wheel bearing)

3.) You need some sort of spring compressor (which if you buy your parts from a local parts store, they often times will have a compressor of some sort that they may let you use for free since giving them your business). Either a 13mm or 15mm (can't remember) for the 3 top mount nuts. A 15/16ths in. wrench or special offset socket for the top strut nut. And (I think 15/16ths again) for the bottom knuckles nuts and bolts. The other parts (brakes and sway bar) you'll figure out along the way.