how to fix hood chips

npfd

So the last two years on the 97 CS sedan, I've attempted to fix the hood chips, by using the dremel with a small grinding wheel to remove the rust and paint.

First time I applied just the touch up paint directly.

Second year, I applied primer (from the spray cans) and the touch up paint from Canadian Tire

After both winters in Canada, most of the touch up paint comes right off and exposes the bare metal.

What methods should I use to prevent this?

Use another primer?

Also for other parts of the car I'm going to take off the surface rust, front wheel well corners, gas filler opening. I think this is the last year I'm going to do rust work as more small parts of rust are popping up.

Thanks,

Raj

hey,

I didn't know what self-etching primer was so I looked it up and no I didn't use that. I used Tremclad gray primer. I'm not using clear over the base, as its a touch up paint, in the small bottles with a brush and all. The other parts on the car for larger sections, I've used base + clear. Its just the hood chips on the hood are small.