"Burping" an LQ1

Galaxie500XL

I've tried everything to get all the air out of my cooling system! The radiator is full, the upper radiator hose doesn't seem to have any air in it, no air is coming out of the bleeds, but yet, I STILL keep getting the "coolant low" light coming on from time to time....I even replaced the coolant level sensor to make sure that's not the issue...

What do you all do to purge all the air out of the cooling system of the LQ1?

the coolant low light should be run by a sensor that's a little under the filler neck of the radiator... since you have replaced the sensor(and assuming it's not a defect from the factory), maybe there's wiring somewhere that junked or the dash is going south on you...

When I did my radiator I first opened up both of bleed valves and then I filled it up from the radiator filler neck.

I had some coolant coming out of my bleed valves as I was filling the radiator so I closed those. But if you see nothing coming out then do not close them until your radiator is filled at the filler neck. My engine was cold so I filled the coolant recovery tank to the cold mark. After that you can put the cap on the coolant tank, but leave the radiator cap off.

Start your car wait until you can feel the upper rad hose get hot. By now the level of fluid in the radiator neck will probably be lower and you can add more to the base of the neck. Then replace your radiator cap. If coolant begins flows out of the filler neck you can put your radiator cap back on.

That is pretty much how I filled up my radiator, and I haven't had a low coolant light or anything since then.

While the engine is cooling with the bleeders closed and the cap on, also the coolant having expanded contracting, it will create a vacuum and if you have the correct and working radiator cap it should pull coolant into the radiator from the reservoir. There have been times that I've seen a significant amount pulled in so you may need to add coolant during this cooldown phase in the reservoir.