Rear brake upgrade?

tornado_735

The RSM setup from years ago allowed rear C4 Vette calipers to be bolted on essentially using a bracket to space them out farther. I'm not sure what rotors were used. Maybe C4 rotors redrilled??

A year or two ago I seem to remember that someone bought/had a car with the RSM brake setup on it, and was posting about it on 60degreeV6. I asked for the rear bracket dimensions because I was interested in getting some machined, but the person told me they were planning on doing the same and never got back to me.

This seems like the best option to me.

EDIT: Found Link. Seems like the rear bracket should be real easy to make.

http://60degreev6.com/forum/f110/rsm-big-brake-kit-t40230

They still sieze on the 94+ setup pretty quickly. You have no idea how many times I had to rip apart my rear brakes and clean and lube the hell outta the slides. Mainly the right rear was the worst. I did that 4 times, and it just recently siezed again on Venom,

I don't know why yours seize, 2 cars I have had them, one for over a decade and one for just under, and neither have seized. I don't do a thing to them except lube the upper slider with some thick blue synthetic lube a friend got for me from O'Reillys sometime in the 90's. I don't ever touch the bottom slider except to check that it still moves freely and I don't ever bother to clean them other than wiping off loose crud with a rag. I don't even replace the clips.

A year or two ago I seem to remember that someone bought/had a car with the RSM brake setup on it, and was posting about it on 60degreeV6. I asked for the rear bracket dimensions because I was interested in getting some machined, but the person told me they were planning on doing the same and never got back to me.

For all that work, why not use C5 brakes? They aren't that expensive and come pre-painted red. I wondered at the time why RSM didn't use C5 brakes.

Answer:

CLEVELAND SUCKS.

really. On any car I have in Cleveland these parts fail routinely no matter what i do. the regularly used parking brake on the 94 CS was stuck last time I was there. Time for new calipers on the next visit, even though they are only two pad sets old. I am not having this issue on the cars in Indiana.

For all that work, why not use C5 brakes? They aren't that expensive and come pre-painted red. I wondered at the time why RSM didn't use C5 brakes.

Based on the pictures from the link, it looks like you can just redrill the C4 rotor to 5x115 and use the simple bracket and it bolts up no problem. C5 brakes could work, as long as hub diameter, and hat height are the same. You can see that swapping to the C4 stuff is pretty simple, maybe C5 isn't and that's the reason.

They don't work at all. Hell, the driver side rotor doesn't look like it's been touched by the pad since I put the damn thing on.

I am probably just going to put new calipers on.

You HAVE used the park brake enough to force the calipers to adjust...right?

Big problem on 1st Gen rear calipers; I don't know about 2nd gen.

Based on the pictures from the link, it looks like you can just redrill the C4 rotor to 5x115 and use the simple bracket and it bolts up no problem. C5 brakes could work, as long as hub diameter, and hat height are the same. You can see that swapping to the C4 stuff is pretty simple, maybe C5 isn't and that's the reason.

C5 is similar, so I think you could do the same with the C5. Maybe there were just more C4's at salvage yards so they could mark them up higher by using JY parts.

You HAVE used the park brake enough to force the calipers to adjust...right?

I don't even do that and never had a problem with them.