Convertible top switch

brianstarr58

95 vert with 3.4 motor. the convertible top switch seems to work intermittenly...i know I spelled it wrong. putting the top down is no problem, but putting the top up the switch seems to stop working half way or sometimes not at all. you have to keep pushing it several times for it to "catch". How much should getting that switch replaced cost or could it be something else.

When you replace the switch on your convertible you will need to replace it with one that is from a 1995.

You could look at the junkyard, but 95s are hard to find. You could ask around here and see if anyone has one for sale.

are you sure. can't it be replaced with a regular rocker switch. and how much should it cost to have replaced? thanks.

I am sure it could be replaced with a regular rocker....but it wouldn't look very good, IMHO

fwiw: the '93-94 switches are identical when it comes to functionality and wiring, the surround is the different though...

are you sure. can't it be replaced with a regular rocker switch. and how much should it cost to have replaced? thanks.

I am sure it could be replaced with a regular rocker....but it wouldn't look very good, IMHO

fwiw: the '93-94 switches are identical when it comes to functionality and wiring, the surround is the different though...

???

95 is 95 only. 94 has a similar switch but the bezel is different.

93- is a completely different design.

???

93- is a completely different design

my bad about adding '93 to my post captain nitpicker..... as I stated and you reitterated using different words, the switch is mechanically the same but the surround is different

???

93- is a completely different design.

Ken, the 95 switch will fit into the 94 and vice versa. I have the switch out of my 95 in my 94 because I broke the 94's. Maybe I changed the switch and not the bezel?

fwiw, to make a convertible top switch you can go to Radioshack or somewhere like them and buy a center off, momentary on, dpdt 12 v switch. If you don't understand any of that then don't try it, but when my switch on my car broke I made one and carry it in whatever car doesn't have the factory switch (I have a 94 and 95 vert). Once I get another factory switch I will keep this as a spare. Not hard to do, all you are doing is reversing the current flow of the motor to make it go one way or another.

-Sean

Are you sure it's the switch, and not the relay? If I remember right, there are two relays at the motor, one for up, and one for down. If so, swap them, and see if the problem moves.

Are you sure it's the switch, and not the relay? If I remember right, there are two relays at the motor, one for up, and one for down. If so, swap them, and see if the problem moves.

!!!

Having replaced the one on John's 95 vert, I can state that the 95 has only one relay. BUT... it is a two part type relay. It happens to be the same relay used for the for the door locks on many W-body cars. Pull up the carpet inside the driver's front rocker and you can find an identical relay there inside a black plastic channel. You can try swapping them (or hit a yard up) to see if the problem is resolved.

• 2 months later...
!!!

Having replaced the one on John's 95 vert, I can state that the 95 has only one relay. BUT... it is a two part type relay. It happens to be the same relay used for the for the door locks on many W-body cars. Pull up the carpet inside the driver's front rocker and you can find an identical relay there inside a black plastic channel. You can try swapping them (or hit a yard up) to see if the problem is resolved.

I had a similar problem several years ago with my 95 Convert. It turned out to be the relay ... as someone else mentioned. When we got that replaced, top functioned perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue with our '94 CS vert., except the switch and relay seem to work fine when lowering the top, but intermittant when lowering it. It must be one of these: faulty switch, dirty or worn relay or bad motor. I doubt the motor is the problem since it works well raising the top and should malfunction both raising and lowering the top. It is probably either the relay or the switch, which may just need a good cleaning!

I have the same issue with our '94 CS vert., except the switch and relay seem to work fine when lowering the top, but intermittant when lowering it. It must be one of these: faulty switch, dirty or worn relay or bad motor. I doubt the motor is the problem since it works well raising the top and should malfunction both raising and lowering the top. It is probably either the relay or the switch, which may just need a good cleaning!

IIRC the 94 has two relays back behind the rear seat. they should be the same, try switching them to see if the issue reverses. if not, then it is the switch... If it is like the 95, follow the advice above on having another relay to try.