low coolant, sludge type stuff in filler neck, 120k miles....intake gasket?

douellette

My favorite parts store is the one I used to work at lol...

However, being forced to shop somewhere else, I prefer PepBoys and NAPA.

I beg to differ. They stock the same equipment that any other part store does. Napa is the worst.

i agree. but i dont think napa is that bad. there just overly priced haha

i never buy parts from pepboys, they sell parts that dont look like they have quality and they also are expensive. i only go there for accessories or other stuff they have on the floor.

When I worked at Dyke, the amount of complaints we had from customers who bought from Advance and got fucked was staggering.

I think you are biased, and are going to lose this argument Mike.

I've never had a problem with Advance.

Of course I'm biased. I worked at an auto parts store, an independent. Independents are better in general.

But in the time that I worked there, we had very few complaints from PepBoys, NAPA, or any other store in the area. Advance... a lot of complaints. Both from retail and commercial customers. My dad doesn't like Advance either, and in fact, refuses to work for them because he feels that their parts are inferior.

Of course I'm biased. I worked at an auto parts store, an independent. Independents are better in general.

But in the time that I worked there, we had very few complaints from PepBoys, NAPA, or any other store in the area. Advance... a lot of complaints. Both from retail and commercial customers. My dad doesn't like Advance either, and in fact, refuses to work for them because he feels that their parts are inferior.

:facepalm:

Most parts are made by one or two manufacturers with different brand names stamped on them. A POS from Advance would be a POS from anywhere else.

exactly.

I'm going based on what I've heard from our customers. I never plan on buying from Advance if I can avoid it.

yeah always base your opinions on what others tell you never from your own experience!

:rolleyes:

I'm going based on what I've heard from our customers. I never plan on buying from Advance if I can avoid it.

yeah always base your opinions on what others tell you never from your own experience!

Somehow I thought professional mechanics who own their own businesses *might* be a reliable source for part supplier information.

Somehow I thought professional mechanics who own their own businesses *might* be a reliable source for part supplier information.

No. They buy the cheapest part and charge the highest markup.

It's all about experience and locations. Napa might be great elsewhere, but here I had bad luck with exchanging 4 bad alternators. Autozone sucks because of the people working there. And Advance is the best because of the people and the parts experience. I've been going there for years now with absolutely NO issues.

Well I guess the Advance around here suck then, based on the complaints I've heard. And we have no "corporate" NAPAs here really, they are all independently owned. I like independents like our NAPAs and where I used to work because I think the level of service goes above and beyond what you can find at most major chains.

And not necessarily the cheapest parts. We had customers who refused to buy the cheap stuff...Goodyear was one of them. They always bought Moog or Spicer instead of Auto Extra or Falcon. They also always bought Raybestos Professional Grade or Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads instead of black box FDPs/Auto Extras, or Raybestos Service Grade.