low coolant, sludge type stuff in filler neck, 120k miles....intake gasket?

douellette

upon looking up the gaskets on rockauto. it says i have a choice of either the old rocker arms or the roller ones. how do i know which i have?? The build date is 2-19-96 if that helps.

Wait.. why is there green antifreeze?? Did they flush the dex cool out and use that instead?

i couldnt tell what color cause the resevoir was empty and it just low enough in the radiator that i couldnt see the color.

YOU MUST BUY THE METAL ONES. You just quoted information that applies ONLY to the plastic ones that WILL fail again.

look for "PERMADRY PLUS"

those ones are the most expensive ones, but it says i still have to choose the type of rocker arms. i need help with that.

those ones are the most expensive ones, but it says i still have to choose the type of rocker arms. i need help with that.

pull off the valve cover and take a picture.

pull off the valve cover and take a picture.

well if i go through the trouble of doing that i can determine it myself, im just trying to make it easy. cause didnt they switch over after a certain manufacture date or vin # ?

You can see green right on the lip there

:lol: ooooh. or they could have mixed it when they noticed it getting low.

Mixed antifreeze = pain...

well if i go through the trouble of doing that i can determine it myself, im just trying to make it easy. cause didnt they switch over after a certain manufacture date or vin # ?

they probably did, but AFAIK, that date/VIN breakpoint may or may not be known... all 96 3100s had heads that allowed for roller rockers, but they didn't all necessarily get them...

alldata isn't specifying an exact date/VIN either...

they probably did, but AFAIK, that date/VIN breakpoint may or may not be known... all 96 3100s had heads that allowed for roller rockers, but they didn't all necessarily get them...

alldata isn't specifying an exact date/VIN either...

damn, guess that means i gotta go pull the cover.

Not necessarily a problem. People are forgetting that it could have had bar's leak or equivalent dumped in it at some time. That will make the brownish sludge in the filler neck as well. There's threads mentioning the use of stop leak from the factory since the 90's, which both my Monte Carlo and my Silverado had in em. Flushed the coolant and no more sludge. BUT, intake gaskets are not a difficult task either.

Not necessarily a problem. People are forgetting that it could have had bar's leak or equivalent dumped in it at some time. That will make the brownish sludge in the filler neck as well. There's threads mentioning the use of stop leak from the factory since the 90's, which both my Monte Carlo and my Silverado had in em. Flushed the coolant and no more sludge. BUT, intake gaskets are not a difficult task either.

yeah i know the gaskets arnt hard to do, there just a pain. i did them on my cutlass a few months ago.

YOU MUST BUY THE METAL ONES. You just quoted information that applies ONLY to the plastic ones that WILL fail again.

look for "PERMADRY PLUS"

FAIL!!!! IT SAYS IT WORKS FOR BOTH TYPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE CORRECT ONE.

1996 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME SL 3.1L 189cid V6 MFI (M) OHV : Engine : Intake Manifold Gasket Price Core Total FEL-PRO Part # MS98004T {PermaDryPlus®; 2 intake manifold gaskets, 1 egr tube gasket, 1 egr valve gasket, 1 thermostat seal, 2 valve covers, 1 egr tube gasket, 1 thermostat bypass oring, 2 intake manifold upper gaskets, 1 tube RTV}

1st Design; w/Ball & Pivot rocker arms; w/o Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. & Upper set incl. int. manifold gskts. incl.

2nd Design; w/Roller rocker arms; w/Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. & Upper set incl. int. manifold gskts. incl.

look for "PERMADRY PLUS"

FAIL!!!! IT SAYS IT WORKS FOR BOTH TYPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE CORRECT ONE.

1996 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME SL 3.1L 189cid V6 MFI (M) OHV : Engine : Intake Manifold Gasket Price Core Total FEL-PRO Part # MS98004T {PermaDryPlus®; 2 intake manifold gaskets, 1 egr tube gasket, 1 egr valve gasket, 1 thermostat seal, 2 valve covers, 1 egr tube gasket, 1 thermostat bypass oring, 2 intake manifold upper gaskets, 1 tube RTV}

1st Design; w/Ball & Pivot rocker arms; w/o Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. & Upper set incl. int. manifold gskts. incl.

2nd Design; w/Roller rocker arms; w/Push rod guides on int. gskt.; Valve cover gskts. & Upper set incl. int. manifold gskts. incl.

yeah but i looked it up on advance auto parts. and it listed it twice, once for each type of rocker, but it was the same part number for both.