progress of clear/colored front corners for cutlass.

douellette

Would you buy some clear corners if i made some?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy some clear corners if i made some?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• douellette

• GnatGoSplat

• jake91

• mra32

As far as I know, nobody makes them. However, anyone could probably learn to do it. Best way would be to make molds of the amber plastic and cast them in clear. A few years ago, there was a guy who was making OEM-replica clear tails and corners for Mopar LH cars that way. I asked him about making some for the Cutlass and he said he would, but when it came down to exchanging info, I never heard back from him. I don't have his info, but I know people make casts and molds for all kinds of hobby type applications so there should be a ton of resources for learning how to make your own. I would love to learn how myself, but am much too lazy for that. :(

As far as I know, nobody makes them. However, anyone could probably learn to do it. Best way would be to make molds of the amber plastic and cast them in clear. A few years ago, there was a guy who was making OEM-replica clear tails and corners for Mopar LH cars that way. I asked him about making some for the Cutlass and he said he would, but when it came down to exchanging info, I never heard back from him. I don't have his info, but I know people make casts and molds for all kinds of hobby type applications so there should be a ton of resources for learning how to make your own. I would love to learn how myself, but am much too lazy for that. :(

haha yeah i know nobody makes them. in google i typed "custom plastic molds" and found a bunch of companies, emailed them asking if they could make some.....is that what i should be searching for? cuz i have no idea what to search for haha

If you pay someone to make them, they'll probably charge a ton! I think the guy that did Mopar cars charged $300/set. If you want them really bad, you might try to make them yourself. Then if you get good at it, you can charge people for them.

Damn, that 2nd link you found makes it look so easy! Pretty cool that their tutorial is about making light lenses too. Looks like if they would have omitted the dye, they would have had a perfect clear copy of their lens. I bet for a beginner it takes several dozen tries to get a perfect lens.

Damn, that 2nd link you found makes it look so easy! Pretty cool that their tutorial is about making light lenses too. Looks like if they would have omitted the dye, they would have had a perfect clear copy of their lens. I bet for a beginner it takes several dozen tries to get a perfect lens.

im VERY tempted to try this out. I priced everything out that would be needed for the molds and the new part, and its about $55-$60. wish there was like a money pool we could make to buy the stuff so i or someone else could try this out haha

arent the cutlass corners a single curve? You could probably make this easily by heating up some clear plastic and bending it to match the current curve then swap out the amber with the clear. Molding would be best suited to something complex. The only functional difference is that the corner wouldnt have the "Cat Eye" stuff on it

idk id pay around $50 for a part that is in such limited supply that it can only be got from one person. but only if it is good

hmm, thats very persuasive lol. guess ill have to make a few testers after i get the supplies in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

alright i got some stock corner lenses today. i already have all the supplies. I just finished separating the lense from the housing.

next step is to make the molds! ill start posting pics of the progress.

Any reason you are molding as opposed to just bending some acrylic sheet? Its a simple curve and if you do it right, you could bang out at least 6 of these in like 20 minutes once you get setup

But if he masters the forming, then maybe he will be able to offer the service to other people for other applications. Best to try it on something small and simple.

Jamie

Any reason you are molding as opposed to just bending some acrylic sheet? Its a simple curve and if you do it right, you could bang out at least 6 of these in like 20 minutes once you get setup

i have no idea what you are talking about :lol:

Molds will look a lot less ghetto. Should look exactly like the original, but clear, if he gets good at it. I wouldn't pay for bent acrylic sheets, but I'd be willing to pay for clear copies of the original if I planned to keep the car.

Molds will look a lot less ghetto. Should look exactly like the original, but clear, if he gets good at it. I wouldn't pay for bent acrylic sheets, but I'd be willing to pay for clear copies of the original if I planned to keep the car.

yea i bought some black dye that im gonna try out too, maybe try to make some "smoked" ones, or paint the backing black.

alright guys, i have one of the molds finished. gonna have to make another mold for the other corner marker since its not the same.

as of 10 minutes ago i poured the resin in the mold for the new corner marker. so i will post pics of the lense when it is finished. this is the first try so lets hope it comes out good :biggrin:

heres some pics of the mold:

CIMG3319.jpg

CIMG3318.jpg