Just a brainstorm 3.4 vs. 3.5 or new 3.9

Shifter23

I am posting here and on TGP forums to collect advice on the ideas of doing a modern transplant in a tired TGP. Me and NTRCOOL have been toying with this for a while so any input would be appreciated. The TGP to be used would be one that is already incomplete and would be getting "gutted" for racing. All parts removed will be shelved to preserve the 10 TGPs, and TSTEs between us. Stock turbo is not a must either but since we would be building from 2nd hand parts the turbo ideas would be a limited situation too. 3.4 and later 3.5 engines are easily found but just curious on thoughts of the newer 3.9 powerplant too. This is an experiment in the making and probably will be a nasty road ahead but either way we are pondering it seriously.

Check out www.60degreev6.com too for advice. There was a boosted 3400 in a corsica that ran a high 12. I don't recall how much was done to that engine. If I had the choice, I'd either go with a full 3500 or a 3400/3500 hybrid. The 3500 heads, and intakes flow better than the 3400 stuff. Some 3500's got a forged crank, but I'm not sure the rhyme or reason to which engines got which. The 3500 will require an external crank trigger to work with your PCM, but that's not terrible.

You most likely do not want the VVT 3500, just more work to deal with. The same goes for the 3900. I know there aren't a lot of people swapping to the 3900. There is just a lot to control with that engine. VVT again, dual intake runner setup to control, electronic throttle body etc. You can "dumb down" the 3900, lock the VVT in 1 position, switch to a different intake etc, but it's probably more work that it's worth.

As far as turbos go, the TGP's stock T25 is wayyyy to small for any of those engines. Hell, it's even too small on my 2.8 hybrid. You mention second hand parts for the turbo. If that's the case, get a Holset HX35 or HX40 off a diesel Dodge. Plenty of flow out of that.

Could you put a non VVT 3500 LX9 cam into a 3900? Then remove all the VVT stuff off of the 3900 running it on a modified LX9 tune?

Could you put a non VVT 3500 LX9 cam into a 3900? Then remove all the VVT stuff off of the 3900 running it on a modified LX9 tune?

that would be ideal and pretty badass...if possible it would be something i would consider once my LQ1 shits the bed...

Cam journals are not the same diameter. 3900 Journals are larger. You're better of locking the 3900 cam into a fixed position.

That is why I love this site and have to come back here more often! I was thinking of cam swapping a 3900 but since you stated the journals are larger which makes sense for structural purposes. If only there was a primitive cam set-up to retrofit the 3.9 that would be ideal. I was thinking that if the cam was just a swap issue even though now I know different go with the 3900 with 3500 upper components, intake, heads, cam, valve train. Then retrofit it to the TGP via 5-speed, since the 4T60HD wouldn't have a clue on what to do. On the turbo on old Cummins engines is there any modification to the turbo itself for use or pretty much just modification on all piping, fuel, and exhaust? Also just curious if stock oil pump will support the situation? Pump would be of course from the 3.5 or 3.9. Hmm... well any more input is appreciated.

CNCGuy of 60V6 is working on a retrofit cam or something like it IIRC...

i'm also working on designing a low-cost VVT/VI controller, but it may be a ways off since i have it worked out to be finished on my timeline, not anyone else's... if i had the funding, i could get it done quicker, but for now, it's a long-term project.

Ive driven the 3.9l at work. I don't think its necessary at all. I think your best off with a 3400/ 3500. if the new 3.6 bolted in that would be the best direct injection and really good power. I always know when Im driving one of those. But we're not talking about that. Won't have have alot of modifying to do with the turbo because of the intake setup? Why not just go with a bigger throttle body from mrz and have 60degreev6 port the manifolds?

-Jarek