Fuel Leak, hmm...

GP1138

I've got a bit of a problem. I have a fuel leak. It hasn't been leaking for long. It's right on top of the muffler, too.. :shock: .

I know there's a recall and I can get it fixed for free at a dealership, but how the hell am I supposed to get it there? I don't know if I could patch it up, or if there's some way they can come fix it, or what. I'm not towing it, I don't have the money.

I might try just putting a $1 worth of gas in it and jetting. I bet that would be a blast of a ride! :P :twisted:

Is it the fuel cell or the filler neck from the body?

Usually you can do home replacements for cheap.

But if you feel uncomfortable, use some electrical wrap to contain the leak.

- Erik

Well, now I'm pissed. I've called 3 dealerships plus GM, and have been told that there are no open recalls whatsoever on my car. I don't know what kind of disrepancy there could be between Alldata and GM, but I'm sure as hell pissed that GM decided to dump any support for older vehicles. :evil:

I had the right rear tire off a couple days ago, and that's where it's leaking, right there on top of the muffler, so I'll pull that again, see if I dislodged any sort of tubing or hosing. :x

:? Now I'm really confused.

The engine is idling rough, in a "putt putt putt" kind of way. The fuel almost seems to be coming out of the muffler, like the mixture is too rich, and the excess is coming out of the muffler, or something. Either that, or there's a break in my return fuel line, and GM is too cheap to fix their mistake on an older car.

I did have the battery disconnected for some time. Is there some sort of idle relearn procedure I didn't follow, that might make it run like this?

Idle Re-Learn:

Pull the battery cable or ECM fuse for aboout 5 - 10mins.

Re-install fuse / cable and start car.

Turn the key to the ON position for 10sec without starting the car.

Turn the key back to the LOCK / OFF position for about 5+sec.

And finally, turn the key back to ON for about 10sec again, and then start car.

Once running, put the car in gear, and let idle in gear for about 5 - 10mins.

Repeat process if nesscessary, if repeated more than once, check throttle body for build-up.

That's the full, proper procedure to have your ECM re-learn the factory idle speed.

As for the "putt-putt" out of the tailpipe... could be two major things:

* cracked Intake Manifold Gasket

* Faulty spark plug / wire

Do the idle re-learn and get back to us if there's more problems.

Any Service Engine Light (SES)? How does it run at higher RPM's?

- Erik