Windshield Wipers won't turn off

morton_137

I have a 96 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and the Wipers wont turn off or delay. I have taken the the wipers off and the arms off to get to the wiper motor and the motor runs continuously when the car is on, the only way to turn them off is to pull the fuse or turn the car off. Was told it was probably the wiper motor, so i bought a new motor and it still ran continuously. I have no clue what the problem is. Circuit Board? Wiring? Or something completely different. Also it has smoked on a couple of occasions at the switch on the steering column so the problem could be there, if the problem is there would I need to remove the steering wheel or is there an easier route than that? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

OK thanks for the info

Now is the problem likely just in the switch and i need to replace the switch or will i need to replace the whole turn signal/windshield wiper lever

If it can be either one what is the best way to test them without have to repeat the whole process twice

sounds like the wiper motor to me and you have 2 issues at the same time. If the motor cannot find its park spot the wipers will keep running. I say turn the key on and give the wiper motor a firm tap and see if it parks.