Bad Leafspring?

Addicted To Boost

I'd like to know why the rear end is sagging on my 91 GP. It became really obvious after I looked at my TGP over Christmas; the TGP sits MUCH higher in the rear than the SE. The struts don't feel bad, and the leafspring looks to be in good shape with no cracks... Maybe just worn out after nearly 226k miles? Or could it be something else?

Pics below comparing how much lower the SE sits than the TGP

Weak spring most likely. Years ago(~190,000 miles) when my spring was bad, the car sat a bit lower(not as low as yours though). Not long after that, the spring would "pop" during harder than normal braking or hard acceleration. It was pretty badly cracked up.

Those are both HOT lol.

you need monoleaf helpers

What are they?

The ends of the leaf spring sit on plastic pucks since the leaf spring would otherwise grind against the knuckle support. If your leaf spring ends are completely worn or gone, your car can sit around 1" lower in the rear.

Hmm... I'll have to get under it this weekend and see what it looks like.

Are they fairly easy and straightforward to replace?

yep. Just jack up the spring somehow and slide the puck underneath. You can use a block of wood to extend the arm of a floor jack.

yep. Just jack up the spring somehow and slide the puck underneath. You can use a block of wood to extend the arm of a floor jack.

You SHOULD use a block of wood to not damage the spring.

broke the red tgp's leafspring two days ago with a load of groceries and a railroad track.

:bang:

I am ordering a birchmount spring to replace it.

broke the red tgp's leafspring two days ago with a load of groceries and a railroad track.

:bang:

I am ordering a birchmount spring to replace it.

Birchmount FTW! I'm very happy with mine.

rub it in. I was going to buy that one but you snagged it faster than shit :lol:

Don't worry, it didn't get to my doorstep until 2 months later, and didn't have the center mount bushings. I had to pull them off my flex-a-form leaf.

rub it in. I was going to buy that one but you snagged it faster than shit :lol:

Don't worry, it didn't get to my doorstep until 2 months later, and didn't have the center mount bushings. I had to pull them off my flex-a-form leaf.

you have to do that. I had to with my 2.5 " BM drop spring. which seems to be riding stock ride height with the pucks in there.

you got a 3.5 right? how much did it drop your car?

you have to do that. I had to with my 2.5 " BM drop spring. which seems to be riding stock ride height with the pucks in there.

you got a 3.5 right? how much did it drop your car?

Weird. My Flex-A-Form leaf came with those bushings. Did Birchmount leafs not come with them?

Supposedly the one i have is a 4" drop, and supposedly the ST springs were a 2" drop, but I think the 2" drop rated for the ST springs were based on a sport suspension on a Monte Carlo, as it was closer to 4" drop on my car when I put them on.

CopyofIMG_2228.jpg

CopyofIMG_2230.jpg

yes, you got to cut them off your old one. they sell them like that.

did it settle down after driving it awhile?

Nope. Mine was the same height after I put it on. Then again, mine was also used.

Need to find lowering springs first :lol:

Did a bunch of work on the 91 today, but didn't have time to check out the back end.... hopefully I'll have time next weekend. :willynilly: