Window Tint

91LuminaEuro

Ok, im probably getting rid of the lumina come springtime (at some point i really hope)

However, i would like to just get some tint on the windows. Has anybody had any experience with the pre-cut tint they sell on e-bay?

I know its not going to be nearly as nice as it would be if i had some one else do it, but for a fraction of the cost, and i want to get rid of the car soon so i dont want to spend a lot of $$

Just looking to improve a couple things on the car b4 i sell her to hopefully get something out of the car.

I was just curious if anybody has had any experience, in reality i could buy the tint, and use my plotter to cut it myself and install it, but the patterns to do this are VERY expensive, i've looked into it in the past.

And what % do you guys like? I was thinking just something like 35% nothing too extreme.

I have never had experience with the precut tint, but it isn't hard to cut the tint to fit your windows. Just measure the window to get a rough estimate of the size piece you need, take the cut piece and spray the outside with some solution of the window with the adhesive side facing out and the adhesive not exposed yet, and trim the piece to fit the outside leaving some at the bottom. Once it is trimmed peel the adhesive cover off and at the same time spray the tint with the solution so it doesn't stick together, spray the inside of the window with the solution and position the tint where you want it, use the tool (can be bought at autozone) to squeegee the solution from behind and fit the tint into the trim, cutoff the excess, then squeegee the rest of the solution from behind the tint, and then it is done. It takes some practice, but it is easy to catch onto. Plus, tint is really cheap at autozone or even walmart.

35% is legal in most states, and keep in mind the darker you go the more any bubbles will show. The lowest I have ever gone on anything is 20%.

The pre-cut tint from Ebay really isnt pre-cut..............Its a square piece of tint with a dotted line where you are supposed to cut. IMO much harder to cut correctly then just cutting it while on the car.

The pre-cut tint from Ebay really isnt pre-cut..............Its a square piece of tint with a dotted line where you are supposed to cut. IMO much harder to cut correctly then just cutting it while on the car.

Hm, really? From all the descriptions i've read on a couple auctions they're supposed to be already cut to fit. Because a lot of tint shops now-a-days use plotters (like i used for vinyl) and program in the shape of the window and the plotter cuts out the exact shape needed, then they just apply. What i have read states these people are just cutting the tint and then shipping it out..

I could use my plotter to do the exact same thing, its just that the templates for cars are pricey to buy. Although i could make a cardboard template, photograph it, scale it and probably use it....but thats a lot of work lol.

Oh well, thanks for the input! I'll probably never actually do this, but it would be nice, because i've been sayign i want to get rid of this car for 2 years..and cant manage to find a nother decent car to pick up..at least not while i have the money to do so.

I bought a pre-cut tint for my Silverado once. The fit was perfect. However, there was a crease in the tint, but I tried to apply it anyway thinking I could work it out. It looked great EXCEPT where the crease was, it wouldn't stay down. I probably should have been more patient and gave it a few days, maybe let it sit out in the sun, but I made the mistake of getting creative and pulling out a heat gun thinking the crease could be "heat shrunk" out. All I did was make it worse and crinkly. Ended up ripping it off.

Anyway, had it not been creased, it would have been perfect.

If you do it, be careful with the rear window, as you'll have to make it one large piece. Also, if you want to do it right, you'll need to remove the 3rd brake light assembly to get behind it.

As for tint levels, I used 35% all around on my tC, and have been very pleased with the shade.

Hm, really? From all the descriptions i've read on a couple auctions they're supposed to be already cut to fit. Because a lot of tint shops now-a-days use plotters (like i used for vinyl) and program in the shape of the window and the plotter cuts out the exact shape needed, then they just apply. What i have read states these people are just cutting the tint and then shipping it out..

I could use my plotter to do the exact same thing, its just that the templates for cars are pricey to buy. Although i could make a cardboard template, photograph it, scale it and probably use it....but thats a lot of work lol.

Oh well, thanks for the input! I'll probably never actually do this, but it would be nice, because i've been sayign i want to get rid of this car for 2 years..and cant manage to find a nother decent car to pick up..at least not while i have the money to do so.

A buddy of mine bought "pre cut tint" from Ebay and it was just a dotted line sheet. But that was just from one shop a year or so ago, so it may be different. But I am definately not a guy that is patient enough to tint a car. Ive done it a few times and got frustrated and gave up. Plus most of those kits on EBay come to like $50 with shipping, and most shops around here run specials like tint a whole car for $100.