Can't open doors.

Cygnus

I see a lot of post about how to replace the coupe door handles, but nothing on how to open the door if they are shut.

Driver's side isn't working and I'm not sure about the passenger side, could be broke too or frozen.

So how do I open these doors without using the handles?

I see a lot of post about how to replace the coupe door handles, but nothing on how to open the door if they are shut.

Driver's side isn't working and I'm not sure about the passenger side, could be broke too or frozen.

So how do I open these doors without using the handles?

I'd start with wedging the doors open with something first. I've used rubber mallet in the past over a towel to hammer around the edges of the door to break any ice loose, or even pry the door with something so the ice breaks off, being careful not to damage the weather seals. Be sure the door is free from ice before trying to open it, or you'll end up breaking your handle and having quite a fun day trying to get into your car.

If both door handles are broken, My best advice would be to wedge the top of the door open, and reach in there with something to open it from the inside... Once the door is open, Just take the door handle off... And you can push on the rods to open your door until the new handles come

How big of a gap do I need to get something down there to pull the inside handle?

Where would be the best location to wedge?

You dont need much room to slide a coat hanger inside. Hit the power locks and open the door with it. The wedge would be on top of the door, towards the back of the car. maybe 16" up from your door handle.

Using a grinder with a cutting blade, carefully cut the outside broken door handle just above the lever.

You can then pull the top of the bottom half of the handle away from the door and access the rods to open the door.

He would have to pull the inside door handle to get the door open... You will need something stronger than a coathanger

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but first generation w-bodies are very easy to break into. The door flexes more than enough to get a big coat hanger in. I accidentally locked my keys in the car while running. I had to roll down the power windows, it was the easiest way in.

Does your car have the little trunk access slot? Maybe you can put a small but competent child through the trunk and have them open the doors.

Yeah, if the handles are broken wedging is the most reliable way to get into the car.

If you have AAA they can help you, i locked myself out of my car at 2am, an hour and a half away from home once. The guy came and used a soft plastic wedge to wedge the door open and then a flexible rod of some sort (your coat hanger) to unlock the doors and get me in.

You could use a door stop or other type of wedged and work your way in.

Just like everyone else said, just make sure you dont damage the weatherstripping.

Hold on... I'm confused.... how is he supposed to open the door with a rod by fishing? You have to pull the handle way from the door, any rod will just bend. He doesn't need to unlock the door.

Do what Matt (GOT2B GM) said... All the other suggestions are only good for unlocking the door, unless these guys have door opener buttons too, I must of missed out on that option.

By the time you wedge the door open far enough to get something down there that won't flex (like your arm) you will of bent the door all out of shape and it will need to be fixed, at that point your probably better off smashing a window and getting a replacement from the wreckers.

Save yourself the hassle and do what Matt suggested

Jamie

I've just pulled/pryed the entire broken door handle assembly off. If yanked hard enough, it busts right off the door and you can access the door rod and open the door.

Just be REALLY careful not to twist those rods too much when you're wailing on them. It really sucks when they fall off the mounts on the door latch and you have to take the door panel off and fiddle around to put them back on. That REALLY sucks.

Update!

Passenger door does open!

Driver's door won't even open from the inside. I've must of really hurt it bad.:(

I remember the night, I had to pull from the door edge to get a better grip. Then the door wouldn't shut at all. The hook that grabs on to the post wasn't hooking, I guess I was able to get to hook.....permanently.

Now I wish I didn't have a center console.......

What to do now?

Its the cold weather freezing the rods... I got stick in my car one night because of it... Yes, stuck IN!

wow...

GM's head-in-the-ass attitude about this could have caused deaths...

Update!

Apperntly Santa decided to deliver on gift a little late this year.

All doors work and they work the way they did before the freeze.

If not Santa....then maybe the door latch and everything was bound up with a little ice and it broke free.

Any who, thank you everyone for all the input.

I'll be back in the spring, when I'm gonna do some spring cleaning to my car. Barring any other mishaps. :rolleyes: