jake91

when you say they smoked up under heavy driving give me an instance

Ok, I was in California going down a road called Mullholland Canyon Road. Here's the route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=CA-23%2FWestlake+Blvd&daddr=34.086431,-118.907583+to:Mulholland+Hwy+to:Mulholland+Hwy&hl=en&geocode=FXqoCAIdomvq-A%3B%3BFdgTCAIdKHPp-A%3BFcp8BwIdjDLp-A&mra=dme&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=34.086165,-118.908441&sspn=0.015727,0.026157&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=34.067805,-118.921165&spn=0.062923,0.104628&z=14

My brakes faded at checkpoint B, which gave me 1000 feet of downshifting into 2nd and then into 1st while smoke was flying out of my brakes on all 4 wheels in order to make the turn ahead. I slowed down some and regained braking power by checkpoing C. Just follow the path from checkpoint B to checkpoint A and you'll see what kind of road I was on. I had driven it 10 times before so I knew what I was doing, but I didn't expect the brakes to fade like they did.

This road was just west of Malibu by the ocean. Quite an experience coming down the winding road screeching your tires with a breath of cool sea breeze coming through the windows and sunroof, and bright sun on an 80 degree day shining on you through the sunroof.

I'm not sure if I made it obvious, but I was going pretty fast, and braking hard...really hard. Constant 0-60 and 60-0.

okay so they would be fine for city driving LOL so the ct3's are good brakes

Yes, you'll be fine. I doubt you'll be racing on any canyon roads, lol.

• 1 month later...

update i have been running these for over a month now and i can sum it up in one word

WOW!!!

You got the Bendix CT3's and the R1 drilled/slotted rotors?

Hmm. I've never had that big of a problem with mine. Stock rotors front and rear, I don't know what kind of pads on the front (previous owner replaced them shortly before I bought the car) and Monroe Ceramics on the rear. I only had trouble stopping once, and that was before I replaced the rear pads and rotors, plus it had just started raining. And the idiot in front of me stopped short. (I gently tapped the rear bumper of his Ford Escape... absolutely no damage to either vehicle, he was really nice about it. I wonder if its because I was on my way to my boy scout meeting at the time and therefore was in my uniform...)

Hmm. I've never had that big of a problem with mine. Stock rotors front and rear, I don't know what kind of pads on the front (previous owner replaced them shortly before I bought the car) and Monroe Ceramics on the rear. I only had trouble stopping once, and that was before I replaced the rear pads and rotors, plus it had just started raining. And the idiot in front of me stopped short. (I gently tapped the rear bumper of his Ford Escape... absolutely no damage to either vehicle, he was really nice about it. I wonder if its because I was on my way to my boy scout meeting at the time and therefore was in my uniform...)

I believe he does run the Bendix CT-3 pads and the R1 rotors, since that was what the whole discussion was about.

You don't know braking until you've picked up a combination of great rotors and high end ceramic pads. I'm sure you can stop well, but I'll bet he can stop even better. You have to feel it for yourself. I don't think his "WOW" is in such big font because it was a slight increase over stock.

I believe he does run the Bendix CT-3 pads and the R1 rotors, since that was what the whole discussion was about.

You don't know braking until you've picked up a combination of great rotors and high end ceramic pads. I'm sure you can stop well, but I'll bet he can stop even better. You have to feel it for yourself. I don't think his "WOW" is in such big font because it was a slight increase over stock.

yep im running those and the car stops on a dime

Well, they do weigh pretty much the same. Maybe every car I've driven has sucky brakes and I'm used to it, but my car stops pretty much the same as the other cars my family owns.

I didn't say it wouldn't be an improvement, I'm just saying I don't really see a big problem with what I have.

I never said there was a problem either. I just said his brakes are better. When I upgraded my brakes, there wasn't a problem.

For comparison, there's no problem with stopping from 60 to 0 at 150 feet, but one certainly wouldn't mind stopping at 130.

Hmm. I've never had that big of a problem with mine.

you're also not stopping a 3.4 vert...

That's more of where the problem lies with stock braking. Those cars are fairly heavy.

Well, they do weigh pretty much the same. Maybe every car I've driven has sucky brakes and I'm used to it, but my car stops pretty much the same as the other cars my family owns.

No they don't. The verts weigh a lot more than the coupes. Check the specs again. The verts have a few hundred pounds of more bracing to stiffen the body. IIRC the number is about 350 pounds more than the coupe, and 250 more than the sedan.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1997-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-6.htm

update i have been running these for over a month now and i can sum it up in one word

WOW!!!

You got the Bendix CT3's and the R1 drilled/slotted rotors?

Now you know I wasn't just talking out of my ass when I said those pads and rotors are excellent and worth every dime.

the vert weighs 350 pounds more than the coupe. the 3.4 weighs IIRC ~100 pounds more than a 3100...

Ah well. I'm trying not to make more of an ass out of myself than I already have. I didn't want to start an argument.

I just wanted to point out where I believed you were wrong. If anything, keep this thread in mind when it comes time to change your brakes.