• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZeeQuick

• RobertISaar

• AL

• xtremerevolution

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this? It was fine a couple of days ago. I did change the thermostat and flush the heater core out yesterday, which has caused the car to run hotter (heat wasn't hot before). Don't see how that could be related. I did get on it a bit when entering the highway today right when I started to notice the issue...

i can hear Crazy K typing away...

I bet a transmission cooler would fix it :willynilly:

He's in Ohio in December...

If anything, his transmission might be too cold.

Truth has been spoken! 20 degrees outside right now....

It will at times not go into OD when I first start driving and the motor is cold, but once it warms up its completely normal. I think I read something about the transmissions not engaging OD until the temp is over 100 degrees.

If this was an issue with 4th gear, wouldn't it not go into OD at all speeds?

Gears seem to change normally, you'll have to pardon my vagueness as its been about 10 years since I've had anything to do with an automatic transmission. I had noticed that the TCC didn't seem to be locking up as much as it was when I first bought the car during normal driving, but I passed it off as my imagination, or just not being familiar with the car, having only had it for a few weeks. Now with the TCC seemingly not locking up at all on the highway now, clearly there is a problem.

the TCC won't lock until a certain temperature is reached, but it should changes gears normally...

Correct.

More info:

Both style sensors are negative temperature coefficient

thermisters and both provide transaxle fluid temperature

information to the PCM. The PCM sends a 5 volt reference

signal to the sensors and measures the voltage drop in the circuit.

The internal resistance of the sensors will drop as the operating

temperatures of the transaxle fluid increase. The PCM then uses

this information for determining when to engage or disengage

the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) or the Viscous Converter

Clutch (VCC).

The PCM inhibits TCC/VCC operation until transaxle fluid

temperature reaches approximately 45°C (113°F). At this

temperature, the PCM will allow the TCC/VCC to engage

providing the throttle position, gear obtained, and other vehicle

operating conditions are met.

If transaxle fluid temperatures become excessively high, above

approximately 130°C (266°F), the PCM will modify shift

pattern and TCC schedules to reduce the temperature.

If a situation occurs where a short or open is detected in the

circuit, the PCM will store a code and use coolant temperature

sensor information for transaxle temperature.

with the 95 3100: if the shifter is left in D, it will lock eventually, can't remember where though. in OD, it will NOT lock in 3rd gear, but will shift to 4th, then lock at 45MPH.

i imagine your setup MIGHT lock in 3rd.

Cruising at 50mph at very little throttle, if I drop it into 3rd from D, the tach does nothing, stays right at about 2000rpm. If I get on the freeway in 3rd and then drop it into drive at cruising speed, nothing happens. Is there anything that could be causing this besides 4th gear just being shot. The car runs absolutely perfect otherwise. Hell, if it didn't have a tach I probably never would have noticed.

Well after researching a bit I see that the 4 gear spline has a nice habit of shearing to the point where it is completely smooth. Awesome. Guess I'll get the car over to a mechanic that I know and see if we can manually engage fourth gear. If not, looks like it'll be time to bust out some $$$/

Well after researching a bit I see that the 4 gear spline has a nice habit of shearing to the point where it is completely smooth. Awesome. Guess I'll get the car over to a mechanic that I know and see if we can manually engage fourth gear. If not, looks like it'll be time to bust out some $$$/

At this point I would consider the price of a transmission rebuild and compare that to the price of an L67 swap. I know if I have to pull my engine to fix the transmission, I'll just put in a low mileage L67 and be done with it.

At this point I would consider the price of a transmission rebuild and compare that to the price of an L67 swap. I know if I have to pull my engine to fix the transmission, I'll just put in a low mileage L67 and be done with it.

his car already has the l67