type of ps fluid and turn signal issues

npfd

Hi all,

For a 97 CS with 3100 and 196k km, we have the generic Canadian Tire Power steering fluid, which is the green stuff, I used it to top up the reservoir over the last few years. I think the part number in the back of the bottle doesn't match the owner's manual, should that be a big problem. Lately I've noticed that when turning, slowly, I can hear a howling kind of noise, hard to explain. Otherwise the ps seems to work fine, for the most part, I heard about dumping dexron III ATF in, I'm not sure about that one.

Another problem is with the turn signal, I did have a look at the write up on how to change it for the GEN 1, but I do not think it is the problem. As when I select to turn left or right at random times, the turn signal light will just stay stuck on. Until I manually cancel it. For example, I drive, try the left, gets stuck, move it to the right, works fine. And vice versa. The way to remedy it is keep using it and it works fine after. I'm pretty sure the blubs aren't burned out, could it be anything else? Could sparying some kind of electrical grease in the turn signal part help in any way?

Thank you

yeah x2 on the fluid in the first post, and it sounds like your turn signal switch is bad IMO at least. I know sometimes if the blinker stays on it may just be a bad bulb but you said it will work ok so it makes to believe the switch is bad.

DO you mean the bulb for the turn signal indicator just stays solid, or does it keep blinking after youve returned the steering wheel to center? The bulb solid means a burned out bulb and the non stop blinking could be a turn signal cam going bad.

As far as the PS fluid goes, just get the sytem flushed with new fluid and maybe add some additive.

ATF works, but only in a pinch, or as in my case with my old '91 CS, it leaks like a sieve.

Turn signal switches on these things are notorious for going bad. Next time you turn your signal on, try pulling the stalk toward you ever so slightly (as though you are going to turn your highbeams on) and turn on the signal. That is what I have to do with mine. Otherwise, the indicator will turn on, and my signals won't work, or the signals turn on, and the indicator doesn't blink.

i have always used dextron tranny fluid in the power steering, it works fine... but flushing it might help. in the least you could drain the reservoir and clean out gunk in it.. refill and repeat again in a week to replace more of the fluid.

for the tss:

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

I often open up my TSSs and clean all the contacts and inspect them, then I coat the innards with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

If the indicator lights in the dash are on when the TS is actually off, it means the primary bulb on the front of the car is out.

If the indicator lights in the dash are solid only when the TS is on, your rear lights are probably not working at all. If you pull the lever towards you and they work, it is poor contact in the switch.

YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS MAY NOT BE WORKING EITHER due to the problem above. get a friend (or any Canadian, they are all friendly, aren't they? j/k) and do a full light check on brake lights with the signal off, in left, and right turn mode...

Thanks dudes,

For the PS fluid I will leave it as such, maybe I'll add a bit more... I hope it doesn't give out.

As for the TSS, as you guys suggested it does turn on and doesn't blink,

As for the brake lights not working, I believe they are the light system is something I have to check. Will keep you guys posted, and I will try the pulling the lever...

Thanks a bunch

To see if it's the TSS, turn on the the signal on which ever side isn't working, and then pull and hold the stalk back, like you're turning on your brights, if it the turn signal starts working while holding it back, it's the TSS.

update -> the problem didn't happen today and I drove a good bit. All the lights are fine, as in none are burnt out. I still have to try pulling it when the issue comes up.

Is there any way of greasing it without taking apart the steering wheel, like using a silicon spray with the extension tube through the opening of the lever?

In addition, would a aftermarket remote starter installed by the previous owner, before 2002, have any effect on the underdash wiring? I know at times when we shut off the car, the parking lights stay on and the chime too, a way to remedy that is to play with the remote start switch (as in to disable/enable the remote starter).

I added more PS fluid, still that noise at times, but less....

Thanks.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU CANNOT FIX THE ISSUE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY FIX THE ISSUE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

Please read my quote and click the link, and you'll see that there is no way to get to the inards to clean the parts any other way.

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

I often open up my TSSs and clean all the contacts and inspect them, then I coat the innards with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.

If the indicator lights in the dash are on when the TS is actually off, it means the primary bulb on the front of the car is out.

If the indicator lights in the dash are solid only when the TS is on, your rear lights are probably not working at all. If you pull the lever towards you and they work, it is poor contact in the switch.

YOUR BRAKE LIGHTS MAY NOT BE WORKING EITHER due to the problem above. get a friend (or any Canadian, they are all friendly, aren't they? j/k) and do a full light check on brake lights with the signal off, in left, and right turn mode...

When you say all the bulbs work, do you mean you the full test procedure I described, or you merely checked the signals only? YOU MUST DO THE FULL TEST.

the aftermarket part might have a courtesy feature.... but should not affect the signals. Do the lights shut themselves off after a minute on their own?

hehe Resistance is futile, the car will be assimilated one day in the junkyard :willynilly:

I understand that it has to be taken apart, I do not have all the tools for such a thing yet...

As for the brake light test, well I sort of done it, as I've been coming home at night and checking in the rearview mirror off reflections of stopsigns etc.. and the brake lights seem to be working well in left and right and off turn signal.

As for the courtesy thing, there is a button on the remote to identify the car, like parking lights flash and the chime turns on. I'm assuming it gets stuck in this mode when we shut off the car... Or could it be the automatic light sensor, that gets messed and stays on and the chime is there to act like a warning?

Thanks.