• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• Twenty

• GP1138

• 94 olds vert

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're tired of a thread, there's always the option of NOT replying to it anymore. :wink:

I agree with you on this one, but if someone starts being rude to me I will not stand for it at all.

The reason I looked and looked for a cutlass 'vert is because my father had a 1970 442 vert that he bought in 1978 for his first car.

He insisted that if i wanted one I need to get one with the 3.1l to get better mpg and to save money on insurance. I wanted a fully optioned one like his. He painted his own car put a new top on it and put straight pipes on. He says selling that car was hard for him to do. But he sold it to start his company. So, It went to a good cuase.

When I saw my car I wanted it because it had the 3.4l, but my dad said no. So, I bought the car anyway and he gets as much enjoyment as I do from that car.

It is not a "smart financial decision", but it is his decision to make. no flaming, no telling him he did a stupid thing.

I would have sold it myself. there are other cars out there.

you should really stop posting with the intentions of changing my mind....it isn't going to happen....you are correct, he has every right to do what he wants to with the car, but that doesn't mean that the decision is a smart one

There you go again. You are insisting he's stupid for going with what he wanted to do.

I am trying to change your attitude, but it seems to be a lost cause.

It's not a smart decision! How old are you?

I don't know the veracity of what he's telling us, but someone hands you twice the value of your car in cash and you turn it down?? That is a stupid financial decision any way you slice it. Emotion doesn't enter into it at that point. I can buy another car I'll love just as much.

I have the feeling that I am trying to explain good vs. bad financial decisions to a couple of high school students ......

I don't want to come across as rude, but did you two even read the posts above?

My grandpa still has a car he bought from 1965. And all his kids drove it to college and now its my car and I wouldn't sell no matter the price. I have a hard time letting go of something like that.

That's kinda what I want my car to be.

Amen.

One of our cars is a Lincoln Continental that my father inherited from his father. The current value for it is around the $10-12K mark, but to my father and I it's priceless. We both know that it'll never be sold, and it'll be handed down to me eventually to keep and in turn hopefully pass on to my kids.

Sure, we could buy another one, even one identical to it, but this particular one is very special to us and no amount of money will ever make us sell it.

Now, can this topic be locked? I am growing tired of the war that's being waged.

Hmm... rare and handed-down cars vs. a rusty Cutlass Convertible bought last month? Apples vs. Oranges man. And this is the internet, people are going to be frank with you, unfortunately.

Also, what did the OP expect when he started this thread? You can't expect people to agree with you 100% of the time. This forum would be boring if that was true.

You are insisting he's stupid for going with what he wanted to do.

This. Is. The. Issue.

Not having different opinions, but rude remarks for having different opinions.

Rude remarks? I never called him stupid, but thanks. I said it would have been a smart decision to sell it. You keep railing on the same thing, but I don't see much of anything inflammatory here. Get a grip.

You are insisting he's stupid for going with what he wanted to do.

This. Is. The. Issue.

Not having different opinions, but rude remarks for having different opinions.

Rude remarks? I never called him stupid, but thanks. I said it would have been a smart decision to sell it. You keep railing on the same thing, but I don't see much of anything inflammatory here. Get a grip.

You did say it was 'not a smart decision' to keep the car. Doesn't that at least count as a rude remark?

The comment I quoted was directed at someone else when I posted it, and not at you, I'm sorry if it caused confusion.

You did say it was 'not a smart decision' to keep the car. Doesn't that at least count as a rude remark?

Well, since you ask, NO! :lol: Actually I would seriously say, no, it's not a rude remark. It's my opinion.

This thread = :facepalm:

x2.

Ironically my buddy just asked me the other day if i would sell the TGP for like 5 or 6 grand if someone offered. I told him i probably wouldnt considering ive got easily that much into it. However if i got a offer where i was doubling my money or close to it (never gonna happen in this life time) i would probably have to sell. But it would be a tough decision and it would suck to see it go. Ive also had the car for 3 years. The OP has had his what a month and half? Theres no way you can form that much of a emotional attachment to a car that fast.

Have you seen the work hes put into that car? He posts an update about every day of something he fixed or cleaned up and replaced

The man takes pride in his wheels, I gotta hand it to him.

I have no intention of getting into the flame war, but I thought of this thread when I saw this one on craigslist today -- it looks pretty similar to your 1994.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/1404257961.html

You could sell yours for $5500 and then talk this guy down to $2500 or so. That would leave you $3000 to make improvements to the 1993, pay for insurance, etc.

I live local to this one and would be willing to take a look at it if you are really interested.

I have no intention of getting into the flame war, but I thought of this thread when I saw this one on craigslist today -- it looks pretty similar to your 1994.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/1404257961.html

You could sell yours for $5500 and then talk this guy down to $2500 or so. That would leave you $3000 to make improvements to the 1993, pay for insurance, etc.

I live local to this one and would be willing to take a look at it if you are really interested.

What's with the ground effects on that one?? :lol: It looks odd.

Its your car, do whatever you want. I was trying to sell my Z and decided to bring it back as a project. As for my csc, I get people asking all the time if its for sale but always tell it aint for sale. Love my drop top.

I have always been told a car is not an investment.

It's not. Nor is the house you live in. Houses that you don't live in and (some) cars you don't drive are investments.

Wait...was that rude? :lol:

thank you! Its my car and I hunted to find one with a red interior for ever. Its worth more to me than the money.

you're a fool

Money isn't everything. Would you sell your most cherished possession just because someone offered you an amount slightly above what it was worth?

He's owned it for less than 35 days!! He can't be that attached.

But it's his choice. Everything has a price and if someone's willing to pay they're willing to pay. You'd have to offer me significantly over-value to obtain either of my two cars as well.

To be entirely honest, I would have probably jumped all over this. If I possessed my girlfriend, I would sell her for $5500 . . . but that's only because I'm really hard up for cash right now!

Personally as soon as I found out I could put my hand through the trunk floor I would have jumped at the first decent offer on it. I can only imagine what the fuel/brake lines look like if the rear qtr and trunk are already rotting. Rust is the one thing I hate dealing with because it is so hard to get rid of especially when it hides and you dont notice it until its too late.