My car is not for sale.

94 olds vert

Yesterday,while at the bank,doing some banking related things. The manager of the bank wanted to buy my car. I told him it wasn't for sale. I've had the car for a month and 2 days now. He made me an offer of 5,000 and I pondered this for a moment and politely said sorry the car is not for sale. He said ok fine. How about 5,500 now he really had my attention. So I crunched some numbers really fast. I have about 1,200 into this car and I paid 2,500 for. But I turned him down and put the top down and drove home in 55 degree weather. He wouldn't give up and now I might have to change banks. I never liked that bank anyway.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• Twenty

• GP1138

• 94 olds vert

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday,while at the bank,doing some banking related things. The manager of the bank wanted to buy my car. I told him it wasn't for sale. I've had the car for a month and 2 days now. He made me an offer of 5,000 and I pondered this for a moment and politely said sorry the car is not for sale. He said ok fine. How about 5,500 now he really had my attention. So I crunched some numbers really fast. I have about 1,200 into this car and I paid 2,500 for. But I turned him down and put the top down and drove home in 55 degree weather. He wouldn't give up and now I might have to change banks. I never liked that bank anyway.

if it was a legit $5-5.5k offer you really should have sold it.....actually you are pretty foolish for turning it down if he was serious

I wouldn't sell it. If I was offered $5500, or more, I wouldn't take it. It's not just the money to take into consideration, but the fact that it's yours, and it's special to you.

I know that with mine, it's worth maybe $2500, or a bit more. Even with all of the aftermarket parts, it's still just in the $3K range. But it's a rare car, and I've put so much time and effort into it that it's worth more to me. I grew up with this car, and all of the memories it holds and the fun I've had with it make it much more valuable to me.

If the bank's manager keeps pestering you about selling it, I'd probably make myself very clear that 'no, it is not for sale, now stop asking me or I will take my business elsewhere.'

thank you! Its my car and I hunted to find one with a red interior for ever. Its worth more to me than the money.

I guess his dad had one with a red interior so that is why he really wanted it. So, to him the car was worth the money.To have something that he remembers.

thank you! Its my car and I hunted to find one with a red interior for ever. Its worth more to me than the money.

you're a fool

Money isn't everything. Would you sell your most cherished possession just because someone offered you an amount slightly above what it was worth?

you're a fool

Money isn't everything. Would you sell your most cherished possession just because someone offered you an amount slightly above what it was worth?

Slightly?? People overprice these cars to sell them, but they're really only worth about $2500 in good shape unless it's a '95. If I was offered $5500 for ANY 1st-gen W-Body and they had cash in hand I wouldn't think twice. I could pick up a REALLY nice car for that much.

he has owned it a month.....

:noman: Kinda harsh there?

here's my thought process on why someone wouldn't sell a relatively easily replaceable car that they have owned for one month when the reported offer is close to double the book value if not more and certainly well more money then they had into it......either they are a fool, or a liar about the offer......I chose to believe him :shrug: , imho it would have been harsh to call him a liar....

he has owned it a month.....

So? He spent time trying to find just the right one, he's put a lot of effort into it, and it's his first car-that's always special.

Back in the 80's my parents had a sports car. Bright orange, turbocharged, stick-shift; a fun little car. They eventually sold it (Because they had me and decided to replace it with something more family friendly). To this day they still regret selling it because they loved it so much. It was just a car, but it was special to them and they miss it because of that.

This car is special to him, so it's no different. Just because its monetary value is less than what the offer was, doesn't justify a sale.

Kapeesh?

Kapeesh?

do you mean "capeesh"? ....if that is what you meant, then my answer is no and no amount of stories about random orange 80s cars will change that.... a white '94 with red interior is a very easily replaceable car.....now if the car was a black ext/white interior '95 'vert then that would be a different story

Just because its monetary value is less than what the offer was, doesn't justify a sale.

I find this statement funny. :lol:

Well, by itself it is. :rolleyes:

It's a car. It's metal and cloth and rubber and fluids. There are many more like it out there. I've been through 6 cars in the past year, probably more, actually. Yes, there have been some happy times attached to them, but I've made money off of all of them, and now have a much nicer car than I started with.