Weather Stripping Installation?

94 olds vert

The weather stripping by the rear windows are shot. I need to replace and was very lucky to find some in pristine condition.

How could I go about Installing these?

Looks like that trim piece needs to come off, but I am unsure how to remove that.

I am hoping someone has done this and could give me a few pointers. So any advice would be appreciated.

No ideas? Or you have no idea what I am talking about?

Try doing a search. There have been a couple of write-ups done on this subject with pics. They mainly cover modifying Camaro/Firebird door weatherstrips as replacements for our quarter windows, since originals are pretty much impossible to find anymore. And if you do find them, they're outrageously over priced. Since you have replacements, you won't need to be concerned with the modifing part, but it covers the removal and replacement. I don't recall if they cover removing the trim piece tho. It's a bit of a pain. There are 3 speed nuts that hold the rear section that are accessed from inside the trunk, and 1 phillips screw at the front that's under the black pillar trim. That trim piece is held in place with 5 phillips screws. The area along the window were the weatherstrip is, is held in place with two sided tape. You have to be extremely careful prying this off as the trim piece is plastic and can break easily. Maybe someone knows a better way of getting this section off other than prying it off ? The weatherstrip is held to the quarter panel with 4 pop rivets. Drill them out and replace with stainless (they won't rust) riverts or panhead screws. I'd recommend 3M two sided tape to replace the original. You may have to double it up to get the right thickness. It was recommended to me by a trim shop to keep this weatherstrip coated often with "Vaseline" or somethig like that. That's what I've been doing and the ones on my '95 are still perfect and soft. Good luck.

sorry lol i was talking to 94oldsvert since he found perfect window trim

Yeah, but what did they cost him? Personally, if I had to replace mine, I'd go with the Camaro/Firebird weatherstrip conversion. A bit more work, but a lot cheaper, better rubber that will outlast even new OEMs, and done right, you can't tell the difference. But that's me.

info?

I'm shocked you'd ask that question. Thought you were around last summer when, can't remember who, did a pretty detailed write-up with pics. Shouldn't be hard to find. "Solution for rear window weatherstrip issue".

sorry lol i was talking to 94oldsvert since he found perfect window trim

Yeah, but what did they cost him? Personally, if I had to replace mine, I'd go with the Camaro/Firebird weatherstrip conversion. A bit more work, but a lot cheaper, better rubber that will outlast even new OEMs, and done right, you can't tell the difference. But that's me.

The weather stripping was free my buddy got them from a '94 vert with 46k miles that his dad owns and the car was totaled. He owed me a favor and brought over a couple parts.

So I located the three nuts they are 9mm in size. Very hard to access. I guess I would be able to take them off just would take a while. Its going to start raining here and I haven't yet cleaned out the garage to park my car in there.

before winter I will clean out the garage and park my car in there. Snow=bad.

Is that what new weather stripping goes for 200?

Even good used ones can go for over $200 on ebay. That's one of the first things I check for on the j/y verts I find just to sell on ebay. So far, they're always junk too.