What Type of Fan????

dkorinko

I was just wondering how the STOCK TGP fan works, I know it sits behind the radiator on the engine side but does it push air through the radiator or does it blow air in the direction of the engine???

There is a pusher fan and a puller fan on the TGP. Pusher pushes through the edge of the radiator, IC cooler, and A/C condenser towards the motor, and the puller pulls the air through the radiator to the motor... 8)

If you or someone else could just answer this then it would help out a lot. The main radiator fan, not the intercooler fan is what I am talking about. Does it blow air through the radiator, or does it blow air towards the engine??? This would be as easy as going outside and starting the car, and then putting your hand behind the fan, if it is blowing towards the engine you will feel it, if its blowing through the radiator you wont. Thanks!

Hang on there dkorinko (you got a PM too :) ), we will get you fixed up! What is called the Man Fan/Fan 1 is also considered the primary engine coolant fan, and is located behind the radiator as a Puller, which is a more efficient design than a puller of the same size/rating BTW. The Secondary Fan/Fan 2 is to assist the primary fan and the ECM heat management requirements in a number of ways. Now Fan 2 is a Pusher, smaller in capacity than the Fan 1, Fan 2 blows across nearly half of the AC Condenser, then some of that is sent over the last 1/4 end of the Radiator Core and pretty much the entire face of the Intercooler, with the “some of that†being the fan splits its shared chores after the AC Condenser to 50% for the radiator and 50% for the Intercooler.

The Main Fan/Fan 1 is 240 watt unit and is so far the largest electric fan GM makes, that may have changed in the last few years but was the case for quite a while.

That should do it.

Jeff M

I was just wondering how the STOCK TGP fan works, I know it sits behind the radiator on the engine side but does it push air through the radiator or does it blow air in the direction of the engine???

Let's make life easy for you. No pusher, puller or other such language.

All properly set up fans move the air in the same direction. From the front to the back. The air flows the same way it would if there were no fan, and the car was moving. In other words, the fans do not fight the natural flow of the air as the car moves.

Scot Sealander

Let's make life easy for you. No pusher, puller or other such language.

All properly set up fans move the air in the same direction. From the front to the back. The air flows the same way it would if there were no fan, and the car was moving. In other words, the fans do not fight the natural flow of the air as the car moves.

Scot Sealander

To the point. :wink: I think the pusher/puller is confusing to many people. 8)

Guest TurboSedan

like ScotSea said, the air flows in towards the engine....whether a pusher or puller is helping the process or not.

the best way i can explain it is: a puller fan is mounted behind the radiator and therefore *pulls*, or sucks air into the engine compartment....the air coming in is what cools the radiator & the engine. the pusher fan on the other hand is mounted on the other side of the radiator, and therefore *pushes* air into the engine compartment and cools the intercooler in the case of the TGP. hopefully i didn't just add more confusion..... hth

EDIT: i have an extra TGP intercooler pusher fan and i'm going to try to use it on my Turbo GTS. the radiator/intercooler setup on that car is very similar to the TGP setup.

joshua