cut my catalytic convertor off

sloick

i got bored so i cut the cat off. 4 of the 4 bolts came out of the flange, so i had to cut her off. $20 in pipe later i have no cat.

the bitch of it is, the cat was hollow already. :facepalm: im looking into a cut out so it can be cool like the buick.

pictures when i get home.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• 9lumina6

• xtremerevolution

• sloick

well. out of the bad; i took the car out for a test drive and the car sounds totally different now. it was very very raspy. quite annoying. now its not at all. its very quiet now.

well. out of the bad; i took the car out for a test drive and the car sounds totally different now. it was very very raspy. quite annoying. now its not at all. its very quiet now.

so its quieter without the hollowed-cat? WTF?

so its quieter without the hollowed-cat? WTF?

x1 million quieter. all the hollow cat was was a plenum for air to move around.

yet people are always saying cutting the cut off(if its not gutted) makes it raspier... thats what doesn't make sense here

0 rasp. and it was extremly raspy. the raspiest i haev ever heard.

6452_1202690220286_1019515648_666305_88518_n.jpg

good lord, not another screw mother nature and the drivers behind you thread :facepalm:

Congrats on the extra 1.5hp

:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. But word of advice, dont drive though any E-check counties in Ohio. A cop following you will smell the exhaust and pull you over. At that point, exect to have your car impounded. The likelyhood of getting just a fix it ticket will be slim to none.

For once I'm gonna roll my eyes right along side Bob... :rolleyes:

Don't come to Canada either... the eco-police would love to give you a hefty fine for no cat

I HAD a Magnaflow high flow cat on my car... failed an e-test miserably, swapped on a Walker cat and passed with flying colors... my car actually ran FASTER at the track with the walker than it did the Magnaflow.

If people would buy good quality cats instead of Chinese made garbage, they wouldn't need to delete the cat.

Jamie

me being the car car guy i am, and all the guys i know that are couldnt tell the difference between the hollow cat and a real cat. it didnt smell at all, and niether does my buick. beleive what you guys want about a cat but i have never seen a difference at an echeck with an old cat to a new cat.

I HAD a Magnaflow high flow cat on my car... failed an e-test miserably, swapped on a Walker cat and passed with flying colors... my car actually ran FASTER at the track with the walker than it did the Magnaflow.

If people would buy good quality cats instead of Chinese made garbage, they wouldn't need to delete the cat.

Jamie

<-canada here, where did you get the Walker, and how much. I'm not in an eco controlled area, but i'd like to get a line on a decent piece, I think my cat is original, and hollow or not, it looks like the welds are about ready to rust off :-P good a time as any to find out :-P

me being the car car guy i am, and all the guys i know that are couldnt tell the difference between the hollow cat and a real cat. it didnt smell at all, and niether does my buick. beleive what you guys want about a cat but i have never seen a difference at an echeck with an old cat to a new cat.

Your on crack then... Maybe I should go and get my e-test papers out of the GTP just to show you...

Cat delete = fail

I don't understand why people insist on removing them, it was designed to be there, you don't take off your hood because the engine will cool better do you? no, because it was designed to be there and the cops would give you a hard time.

In most places it is the law to have a cat, and I don't care if your nose can't tell the difference, the eco-police and their testing equipment can.

For what little gain you MIGHT get (2hp maybe) its a waste of time and money, especially if you get caught

<-canada here, where did you get the Walker, and how much. I'm not in an eco controlled area, but i'd like to get a line on a decent piece, I think my cat is original, and hollow or not, it looks like the welds are about ready to rust off :-P good a time as any to find out :-P

Where are you located? I am in Ontario... I got mine at Mufflerman in London. I would think that any good auto parts store could order you one in.

Jamie

Alright, Sloick...here is my personal experience. I had an exhaust leak in front of the cat on my 90 Lumina Euro 3.1 (seems to happen on all of our past Luminas), so I had the exhaust shop take the cat off and weld in pipe. With the straight pipe and factory dual-tip muffler, the car sounded healthier and throatier, but it was a tad bit raspy. I noticed right away that I could feel the exhaust vibrate my console shifter, so it made the car feel a little less "refined" than previously. I drove the car for a year like this (in an emissions check county of Ohio, but between the bi-annual inspection) and had absolutely no problems, only a few compliments on the tone.

Another story...the exhaust broke apart just before the muffler behind my RR wheel and THAT made the 3.1 sound like a hot rod for 2 wks. Wish my car always sounded that wicked :cool:

good lord, not another screw mother nature and the drivers behind you thread :facepalm:

Haha! That random hilarious comment caught me by surprise. The picture makes it all.

Where are you located? I am in Ontario... I got mine at Mufflerman in London. I would think that any good auto parts store could order you one in.

Jamie

New Brunswick, I'm sure there's a few places too, just thought I'd see if it was a major parts store to get a base price, around here if no one else carries it, it's an automatic market-up-the-@$$ price.

kinda like my egr valve... $400 for the cheap one at napa... at the eastern Canadian warehouse no less >.<

The sad truth of the matter is on cars as old as ours, the cat isn't really doing much (if anything). They're well used up by 100,000 miles..

The sad truth of the matter is on cars as old as ours, the cat isn't really doing much (if anything). They're well used up by 100,000 miles..

That's why companies like Walker make replacements...

Mysteriphys;

I dunno what you have in NB in the way of Auto parts stores. Around here I would start with Canadian tire or Napa.

Jamie

Good thing Illinois doesn't care if you pass smog or not on any car older than 1996, so I can get away with magnaflow cats on the jag. A good thing too, since they were $100 shipped for the pair, brand new.

The most likely reason you probably got better performance with a walker cat than with the Jaguar cat was not because of reduced flow, but because of reduced backpressure. How big are your exhaust pipes?

I don't doubt it. I have almost 205k on the regal and I'm considering getting a magnaflow cat for that as well.

Good thing Illinois doesn't care if you pass smog or not on any car older than 1996, so I can get away with magnaflow cats on the jag. A good thing too, since they were $100 shipped for the pair, brand new.

The most likely reason you probably got better performance with a walker cat than with the Jaguar cat was not because of reduced flow, but because of reduced backpressure. How big are your exhaust pipes?

I am running 2.5" to the Y-pipe and 2.25 after the Y-pipe

FWIW, I have a few friends that have failed e-tests with magnaflow cats on only a few months after installing it.

the only time they are good for an e-test is when they are brand new, that tells me that they break down inside faster than the others like walker...

Could it be a case of you get what you pay for? probably considering the Walkers are typically double the price

Jamie

I am running 2.5" to the Y-pipe and 2.25 after the Y-pipe

FWIW, I have a few friends that have failed e-tests with magnaflow cats on only a few months after installing it.

the only time they are good for an e-test is when they are brand new, that tells me that they break down inside faster than the others like walker...

Could it be a case of you get what you pay for? probably considering the Walkers are typically double the price

Jamie

The "get what you pay for" probably has a lot to do with it. I just got them so I wouldn't stink up the people behind me. I could care less whether or not I pass a smog-test in a 22 year old car.

Mind you, I'm not advocating cutting them off....in fact, the last exhaust I put on my wife's Buick I replaced the converter...it sounded like a tin can full of rocks.

A lot of those issues get answered with OBDII cars, the only purpose of the downstream O2 sensor is to monitor the performance of the converter.

Your on crack then... Maybe I should go and get my e-test papers out of the GTP just to show you...

Cat delete = fail

I don't understand why people insist on removing them, it was designed to be there, you don't take off your hood because the engine will cool better do you? no, because it was designed to be there and the cops would give you a hard time.

In most places it is the law to have a cat, and I don't care if your nose can't tell the difference, the eco-police and their testing equipment can.

For what little gain you MIGHT get (2hp maybe) its a waste of time and money, especially if you get caught

Jamie

untill you understand its just a matter of opinion here then you way as well argue with the wall. you guys tell me about the poor people behind me having to smell it, and i tell you that it doesnt smell. then you say taking the hood off does something too. do you keep the factory air box because it is how it was designed? hell no you rip that shit out for a fwi and love it. i just made exhaust less restrictive in an area that doesnt test for smog. big deal. IT IS AN OPINION.