00 lumina firewall issue

rockfangd

I need to run 2 8 gauge wires though the firewall of my 2000 lumina and i am having no luck at all with this.

There is little to no room under the hood and under the dash. I cannot find a place to pass them through.

This i irritating as fuck because i have the entire interior pulled and am waiting to finish the wiring so i can reassemble everything.

I cannot find the clutch master grommet like on the Gen 1 Ws. That is where i did it on my 94 olds.

If anyone knows any tips i would really appreciate the help

I need to run 2 8 gauge wires though the firewall of my 2000 lumina and i am having no luck at all with this.

There is little to no room under the hood and under the dash. I cannot find a place to pass them through.

This i irritating as fuck because i have the entire interior pulled and am waiting to finish the wiring so i can reassemble everything.

I cannot find the clutch master grommet like on the Gen 1 Ws. That is where i did it on my 94 olds.

If anyone knows any tips i would really appreciate the help

i don't think that gen lumi got that. that gen never came optioned with a 5sp. i have a 98 and all i found was one hole that i can hardley reach under the hood.

column or floor shift?

if floor shift, there would be a hole with a grommit in the firewall plate, to the driver's side of the vacuum booster, which is where the column shifter cables passes, or where the master cylinder for the clutch would be on a manual car...

column or floor shift?

if floor shift, there would be a hole with a grommit in the firewall plate, to the driver's side of the vacuum booster, which is where the column shifter cables passes, or where the master cylinder for the clutch would be on a manual car...

i forgot about the floor shift models lol. i'll look when i get home from work later today what hole is there.

well i just went out and snapped some pics of what is on the firewall....well kinda.

hope this kinda helps.

this is between the strut tower and the brake booster:

PICT0146.jpg

and this one is on the passenger side of the brake booster:

PICT0149.jpg

i know, crappy pics, but there are no holes other than where the shift cable comes out of the firewall. i also believe that this is the same location for the cables on console shift models.

and there's no hole for a clutch slave cylinder either as montes from 95+ and luminas 95-01 never came equipped with a 5 sp.

you can try it. when i installed my overhead console i was looking for a hole to put the temp wire and found a hole but came out between the firewall and shock tower. like where they literally meet near the bottom of the firewall. i had a very hard time getting a wire through, even with a coat hanger.

your best bet is to try to drill a hole just above or below where the shift cable comes out.

Ok so I just went out and looked it over again and still have nothing. The only thing i can access from under the dash is the hood release cable, but there is no access under the hood to run the wire.

I cant even touch the TV cable or the shift cable from under the dash at all. I cant even see it :willynilly:

This is truly ridiculous. and to make matters worse there is a insulated cover all around the steering shaft at the firewall . so i am still stuck on this.

Is there anyplace you can see the firewall? You are probably going to need to drill a hole somewhere. Ive done systems in these cars before but i cant remember exactly where i went through the firewall. Just make sure you are clear on both sides before you drill. You dont wanna drill through the brake booster or a wire harness or something.

your best bet is to drill on the left or right of where the line for the gas pedal comes out to just below the booster. look in the first pic i posted and you'll see where im talking about. to me that would be the best place.

Yeah left of the steering column.

I'll try to get a picture of where it came out at today before I head out of town. However, it may not be til a bit later today.

Well i am going to go out now and have another look. Thanks for the tips.I remember when you did that install and it was very professional

Well many thanks to SLICK for the great advice as it went perfect. It comes out just below the AC lines but has enough clearance :mrgreen:

I have the driver side all together so i can drive the car now.

Thanks again.

I also have to add that i think charcoal grey AQ9s are hot in the tan interior. Big improvement on the look of the interior

Well many thanks to SLICK for the great advice as it went perfect. It comes out just below the AC lines but has enough clearance :mrgreen:

I have the driver side all together so i can drive the car now.

Thanks again.

I also have to add that i think charcoal grey AQ9s are hot in the tan interior. Big improvement on the look of the interior

at least someone was able to help you out with it. i would have never thought to do it over towards the ac lines.