slipping getting worst now slipping on 1st

SrMichi

i hear buzzing noise coming from the trans area just when i start the car. any ideas on what it could be? also sometimes when i put it in gear it will go in gear but not all the way then if i put it back in park then wait a sec and try again it will go in normally.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SrMichi

• 1990lumina

• AWeb80

• RobertISaar

ever changed your filter and fluid?

yes i changed the filter and the fluid from the pan about 8 months ago.

Probably a solenoid in the trans.

is this bad? :eek:

well I'm hoping that the buzzing noise is fairly normal and its not something more serious.

now the car will go into drive but not completely it slips for a bit then it engages completely and then it wont have any more problems for the rest of the drive. It is more common for it to happen in the mornings but once in a while it will happen just a few hours after not driving the car.

Sounds like the pump is on the way out - not building pressure right off the bat. I guess to make it last as long as possible make sure you aren't driivng with the transmission slipping or you'll wear the clutchs down to nothing in little time.

Is the level full when hot?? It also sounds like low fluid.

Otherwise, I really dislike recommending any type of additives, but maybe a bottle of Lucas will thicken things up a bit and make it last a bit longer. The inevitiable will happen though.

Sounds like the pump is on the way out - not building pressure right off the bat. I guess to make it last as long as possible make sure you aren't driivng with the transmission slipping or you'll wear the clutchs down to nothing in little time.

Is the level full when hot?? It also sounds like low fluid.

Otherwise, I really dislike recommending any type of additives, but maybe a bottle of Lucas will thicken things up a bit and make it last a bit longer. The inevitiable will happen though.

yeah i don't drive with it slipping i usually put it back on park and wait a sec and try again.

about the level i checked it last weekend and it seems to be right in the hatched area. after doing my aunts Malibu and seeing how easy it is to put the proper amount of fluid in it Ive been doubting myself on the level in my car.

Just for the heck can anyone tell me how they check there fluid level? Ive always followed the way the manual says to should i just stick to the method?

Get the car to operating temperature. Maybe drive around the block if you want. Park level. With the engine running and transmission in Park pull the dipstick and check the level on it. Wipe it clean and recheck. Make sure there are no air bubbles in the fluid either which would indicate overfilling and the fluid cavitating (which is BAD in a hydralic system because air is compressable. Which the transmission tries to apply a clutch there isn't the ocrrect force on it due to air being compressed in the system rather than 100% ATF).

Also, if there are air bubbles and the level is correct I've heard of the filter seal to the transmission cracking or leaking.

Get the car to operating temperature. Maybe drive around the block if you want. Park level. With the engine running and transmission in Park pull the dipstick and check the level on it. Wipe it clean and recheck. Make sure there are no air bubbles in the fluid either which would indicate overfilling and the fluid cavitating (which is BAD in a hydralic system because air is compressable. Which the transmission tries to apply a clutch there isn't the ocrrect force on it due to air being compressed in the system rather than 100% ATF).

Also, if there are air bubbles and the level is correct I've heard of the filter seal to the transmission cracking or leaking.

k i will check. if there is bubbles could i just take out some fluid and hope for the best or if i see bubbles I'm screwed?

We had very similar symptoms in my brother's '93 Bonneville (minus the sound).

O-rings and the pump were on it's way out. Eventually, it wouldn't go into gear.

the sound i heard while the car was on stands with out wheels on and i just finish doing the control arm bushings but if it where a normal day i would not hear it.

i hope the O-rings and Pump are not going to fail on my any time soon.

k i will check. if there is bubbles could i just take out some fluid and hope for the best or if i see bubbles I'm screwed?

We had very similar symptoms in my brother's '93 Bonneville (minus the sound).

O-rings and the pump were on it's way out. Eventually, it wouldn't go into gear.

the sound i heard while the car was on stands with out wheels on and i just finish doing the control arm bushings but if it where a normal day i would not hear it.

i hope the O-rings and Pump are not going to fail on my any time soon.

you could take some fluid out - but only if it is indeed overfilled.

well i checked and there was maybe 1 or 2 bubbles when i pulled the dipstick. i did take some fluid out and keep on measuring i left it a bit less than the half way line. so far i drove it 3 times and all 3 times it went into gear right away. lets see how it goes tomorrow morning and during the day.

Jeez doesn't your car only have like 60K?

43k to be exact.

Did you do anytihng to it or is it just working suddenly lol?

well i checked and there was maybe 1 or 2 bubbles when i pulled the dipstick. i did take some fluid out and keep on measuring i left it a bit less than the half way line. so far i drove it 3 times and all 3 times it went into gear right away. lets see how it goes tomorrow morning and during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you do anytihng to it or is it just working suddenly lol?

i took some fluid out

Well it came back. The car in the mornings the car goes into gear but not all the way. im able to move the car but usually put it in park for a bit and try again. i decide to drop the pan and change the filter. when i saw the filter i realized that the neck part that attaches to the trans was not push all the way in because the part that touches the trans case was sunken in. so after putting in a new filter and smacking it up there with a rubber hammer in put everything back and filled her up. i took out 6 quarts of fluid then i put back 6 quarts back. Drove around and checked the level. Every time i would check the level it would be in the add more section of the dipstick. So i began to add little by little until it got to the hatched area.

The next day I do to my car and it still does not go into gear all the way but after letting it warm up it goes into gear just fine and shifts smooth. Until I make a hard turn and accelerate then it make this whining noise <-- what the hell is that all about?

So I am in the way of rebuilding my tranny or what?