leaky lines

swift13

ok so after i took out the interior and moved the vert into the garage until i can get around to it again, when i went to put the top up the last time i noticed some leakage near the pass. side cylinder looks to be some sort of union or tee. i didnt take a whole lot of time looking as i needed to get it into the garage but.....

my question is to fix this i am assuming i am going to have to bleed the lines, how would i go about this?

Others may have a better advice, but just to give you a reply- I've had mine apart a couple of times. My driver's side ram was leaking at one of the fittings.I did not concern myself with bleeding lines. I just placed some rags to catch the drips while I removed the ram. Didn't make a big mess. I decided to pull both rams and clean the insides and replace the orings. Not difficult to do.

I have also completely bled the system to get rid of hydraulic brake fluid in the lines and switch to transmission fluid. In that case, I had lots of towels since brake fluid will eat paint. Still didn't make much of a mess. I suggest you change the heim joints of both rams if you're going in there. Earlier posts on this are invaluable. I recently found a 94 vert in a yard and pulled the rams and pump just for insurance. I used JB Weld on my ram that was cracked at the fitting. It's holding after two years and a 100 ups and downs. But, I had no other option at the time.

As it relates to damaging paint, definitely. Brake fluid probably better under A LOT of pressure than trans, and power steering better yet. I don't know what the pressures are in the top systems of these cars, so it's hard to say. Also, brake fluid absorbs moisture VERY easily, and that is just bad.

As it relates to damaging paint, definitely. Brake fluid probably better under A LOT of pressure than trans, and power steering better yet. I don't know what the pressures are in the top systems of these cars, so it's hard to say. Also, brake fluid absorbs moisture VERY easily, and that is just bad.

Fluid is fluid - it doesn't compress so one is no better than the other. You could water in there and it would work lol till everything corroded.

Fluid is fluid - it doesn't compress so one is no better than the other. You could water in there and it would work lol till everything corroded.

thats true but i think they are saying its better to have trans fluid in there as opposed to brake fluid in case it leaks, so you wont damage your paint