• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• AWeb80

• tornado_735

• White93z34

From what I'm reading, a lot of dealers are balking because to make the cars eligible for the program, they end up having to (this is officially part of the program) destroy the engines of the cars before they are junked. And they DO get sent to junkyards and not necessarily crushed right away, which makes me happy. At least I can get parts off cars that are "clunked".

Wow, looks like it's surpassed everyone's expectations. I guess I wouldn't be able to clunker my vert even if I wanted to!

Some in congress are wanting to put more money into it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_go_ot/us_cash_for_clunkers

"This is simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn," Miller said Thursday. "The federal government must come up with more money, immediately, to keep this program going."

Also, Ford sales are up "dramatically".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090730/bs_nm/us_ford_sales_1

Looks like it's working which is good, but it sickens me to think about all the nice older cars getting clunkered that I would have really liked to own.

Hey, a quick boost in the economy never hurts anything. Atleast it will clear up some of the inventory, and give some of the parts suppliers something to do.

Hey, a quick boost in the economy never hurts anything. Atleast it will clear up some of the inventory, and give some of the parts suppliers something to do.

That's true.

I also am peeking at the Astra. And the G6 although I know those are not well liked around here...

Damn, after watching these videos, it just seems so wasteful!

Jeep Grand Cherokee, looks pretty new to me... not worth $4500?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBilHH5z2A&feature=related

This Volvo looks pretty new to me too, almost sounds like it's crying at times (turbo whining I guess). Hard to believe it's not worth $4500.

'95 Olds Aurora, love the sound of that V8 even when it's dying.

Another Aurora. Damn, I always liked these cars. :(

Oh no! I saw my Buick's twin being clunkered. Except it was light blue - and had the 3800 engine - and a GS. And this was at a Hyundai dealership. :sad:

I just wonder how many dealers are jacking up their prices when someone walks in driving a "clunker"? Taking $3500 bucks off a $21,000 car wouldn't do me any favors.

The only good thing is some of these cars will be on the back of the lots and a song to buy. I think I'll have to stop in an ask about that Buick on Monday.

The only good thing is some of these cars will be on the back of the lots and a song to buy. I think I'll have to stop in an ask about that Buick on Monday.

Nope. Clunkered cars are worth $3500 or $4500 to the dealer. They don't get their checks until they surrender the car to the CARS program and those cars WILL be destroyed. The only way any of those cars will end up back on the lot is if it was really worth more than $4500 and the dealer lied to the customer telling them it isn't, and lied to them that they're surrendering it to the CARS program when really they never intended to. I think there is a lot of paperwork that has to happen during the initial purchase that would prevent that from happening though.

Nope. Clunkered cars are worth $3500 or $4500 to the dealer. They don't get their checks until they surrender the car to the CARS program and those cars WILL be destroyed.

Or sold to junkyards with engines disabled.

Or sold to junkyards with engines disabled.

Even then, the junkyard HAS to crush/shred the car within 180-days (gov't requirement) so either way they get destroyed eventually.