You know what I find kind of humorous?

tornado_735

My 1994 Grand Prix does not fall under the guidelines of the Cash for Clunkers. I suppose if I drove at WOT everywhere I went, I MIGHT be able to get the mileage to fall under 18, but where I sit right now, I'm averaging between 21-25mpg :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• AWeb80

• tornado_735

• White93z34

It doesn't matter what the car gets per the way you drive it, it goes by what the EPA estimates it should be at.

Just read a report today that many cars were changed (even by 1mpg) and are not longer qualified for that program.

EDIT:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

http://www.autospies.com/news/EPA-changes-fuel-economy-rating-of-30-000-vehicles-for-Cash-for-Clunkers-program-46436/

Fun stuff!

3.4DOHC cars qualify. The wife and I have seriously been considering to take advantage of this by sacrificing the vert. It's just tough because I can't stand the thought of it going to the crusher. I put a lot of work into it, and it still looks beautiful. I would much rather have seen someone else enjoy the car like we did than for it to get crushed. On the other hand, no way I'd get $4500 under any circumstance and it's not like they'll crush it before my very eyes. Out of sight, out of mind.

On the other hand, no way I'd get $4500 under any circumstance and it's not like they'll crush it before my very eyes. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thats exactly the best way to look at it. Rachel loves her Regal to death, and she hates seeing things done to it, but if it did qualify, she also knows that it would be the most the car is ever worth.

3.4DOHC cars qualify. The wife and I have seriously been considering to take advantage of this by sacrificing the vert. It's just tough because I can't stand the thought of it going to the crusher. I put a lot of work into it, and it still looks beautiful. I would much rather have seen someone else enjoy the car like we did than for it to get crushed. On the other hand, no way I'd get $4500 under any circumstance and it's not like they'll crush it before my very eyes. Out of sight, out of mind.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO are you crazy? I WILL buy that car before it goes to the crusher.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO are you crazy? I WILL buy that car before it goes to the crusher.

for $4500?

I'd definitely be more than happy to sell it! We're just throwing around ideas at this point.

Honestly, I'd rather sell it outright and buy what we really want, but we're going to look at the Camry hybrid this weekend or next... depending on what kind of incentives and financing they can throw our way, one of those might be a bargain.

i wouldn't bother with the cash for clunkers. it's taxable and you'd have to wait about 2 weeks for the gov't to approve you to get the money.

A Camry? AND a Hybrid? No thanks.

No shit!!!

The GP qualifies and my dad wants to use it.......on a new car for my mom. :mad: I think he wants to use the truck although I think he should use money to fix the truck up first.

Tony: I'm not sure that your GP qualifies. I just looked up a '94 GP w/ the 3.4 and it's rated at 15 city and 24 highway. That's a 19.5 average. Which means, that you aren't really qualified for this package.

:lol:

Well, the Camry Hybrid has a lot going for it which makes it a very sensible choice, though perhaps boring.

- Midsize, so it's at least as roomy, if not roomier than a W-body.

- Safe, excellent crash test ratings.

- Rated for 34mpg city, one reviewer got 35mpg city.

- Reliable, never have to work on it and if anything happens, there's a 5yr powertrain warranty.

- 0-60 in 8-seconds and 15.9 1/4-mile puts performance close to the vert w/3.4 DOHC.

- Excellent resale, depreciates only about $2k/yr (vs $4k/yr of competitors like the Fusion hybrid and Malibu semi-hybrid).

For midsize or better, the Camry hybrid seemed to be the best choice that is rated at least 28mpg (required to get the full $4500).

Yeah...but a Toyota? Glad you're not looking at a Honda at least.

I'm open-minded and not at all brand loyal. ;)

I'd consider a Honda if they had a decent midsize rated at least 28mpg by the gov't.

My sister still drives her 93 Accord that she bought in the late 90's based on my recommendation. She tells me it's never needed a thing, not even transmissions, despite the body starting to rot out, been stolen and taken for a joyride, and bums used to sleep in it when she lived in downtown Denver and had to park it in an alley.

I don't want to lock myself into one brand because I feel like I might miss something that I might really like.

I've never heard of issues with Honda's and transmissions.

In fact, the most issues that I think that I've ever heard of are suspension (tierods, ball joints, etc which are all maintenance items on ALL vehicles) and headgaskets. And those were early to mid 90's cars.

We had a 09 Camry Hybrid in my work yesterday, fully loaded. It was a really nice car, so quiet i couldnt even tell it was running lol.

Yeah...but a Toyota? Glad you're not looking at a Honda at least.

Whats wrong with Toyotas or Hondas?

Well Shawn, like I said before I was trying to wait till the spring again before I picked up another car, but PM me if you need to unload it before then and we'll work something out.

I've never heard of issues with Honda's and transmissions.

In fact, the most issues that I think that I've ever heard of are suspension (tierods, ball joints, etc which are all maintenance items on ALL vehicles) and headgaskets. And those were early to mid 90's cars.

We are a small market Honda dealer, and replace transmissions at the average of one per week. This mostly on 2002 and newer vehicles. Last year, we replaced 54. This year is about the same, if a little less. Ball joints, tie rods, radios, brakes, various interior bits...failing early. I mean, we stock inner tie rod ends for a couple vehicles. Sway bar links, the whole bit. Honda quality? Gimme a break.

:lol:

Well, the Camry Hybrid has a lot going for it which makes it a very sensible choice, though perhaps boring.

- Midsize, so it's at least as roomy, if not roomier than a W-body.

- Safe, excellent crash test ratings.

- Rated for 34mpg city, one reviewer got 35mpg city.

- Reliable, never have to work on it and if anything happens, there's a 5yr powertrain warranty.

- 0-60 in 8-seconds and 15.9 1/4-mile puts performance close to the vert w/3.4 DOHC.

- Excellent resale, depreciates only about $2k/yr (vs $4k/yr of competitors like the Fusion hybrid and Malibu semi-hybrid).

For midsize or better, the Camry hybrid seemed to be the best choice that is rated at least 28mpg (required to get the full $4500).

Not to mention a monster payment for the next 5-7 years, unless your credit is absolutely stellar...

I have got my eye on the Dodge Avenger, the Chevy Malibu, and stupidly, the Ford Taurus.

The guy who delivers papers to my store in the morning drives a 2000 Honda Accord, and his car in the shop for like, 3 weeks while they replaced his transmission. He got it back one night, but said it still wasn't right. He hated his loner car too, an '08 Civic. He got his Accord back, and he says it's good now.

Not to mention a monster payment for the next 5-7 years, unless your credit is absolutely stellar...

My credit is stellar and I could pay cash for a Camry if I have to, though I don't really want to since I'd like to have some cash on hand to buy a new (to me) truck as well since mine is rotting out. Whether I go for cash for clunkers and buy a new car is really depending on what kind of other incentives they can throw in. Camry Hybrids reasonably equipped are about $30k. If they can offer discounts on an old stock '09 to where I could get a loaded one under $20k after cash for clunkers, 0 or 0.9% financing, then that would be awful tempting. My dad was able to get 0.9% on his Acura and $6k off for being a previous year model (08 when the 09's came out) so who knows what Toyota can offer.

I have got my eye on the Dodge Avenger, the Chevy Malibu, and stupidly, the Ford Taurus.

What are you planning to trade in as a clunker?

What are you planning to trade in as a clunker?

Well, I've just got my eye on them now. Not planning to make any moves. But if I did, it would have to be my Jeep. Then again, I couldn't bear to see it go to the crusher, so I'd probably just try to sell it. I haven't owned the Land Rover long enough, and besides, I'm not letting a 5-speed Disco go to the crusher :lol: I hunted for that thing for months.

I just realized that if my GP did qualify, I'd be getting between $3-$4000 more than I paid for it, LOL!

It really was the best $550 I have ever spent.