You know what I find kind of humorous?

tornado_735

what i think is funny is that the lq1 qualifies. yet i always get at least 19+mpg. normaly 20-21, and a highest with 50/50 interstate 25, and full interstate at 28, and i run the hell out of it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• AWeb80

• tornado_735

• White93z34

I'm not letting a 5-speed Disco go to the crusher :lol: I hunted for that thing for months.

oh and i read that they arnt crushing them now there ordering the dealers to lock up the engines so that when they go to the junk yard no one can pull the engine and put it in another car

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48779

I'm not letting a 5-speed Disco go to the crusher :lol: I hunted for that thing for months.

oh and i read that they arnt crushing them now there ordering the dealers to lock up the engines so that when they go to the junk yard no one can pull the engine and put it in another car

I sure as shit hope so.

what i think is funny is that the lq1 qualifies. yet i always get at least 19+mpg. normaly 20-21, and a highest with 50/50 interstate 25, and full interstate at 28, and i run the hell out of it.

My wife only gets 15mpg 100% city, just like the gov't website says it should. :(

Could be something not-quite-right with it, but it seems to run and drive just fine.

Not exactly true. They all must be crushed, but they get a 6-months stay of execution where they can be picked of parts. I dug through gov't documents and yes, the sodium silicate part is true.It's some extra "insurance" to ensure that there is no possible way that vehicle will ever end up on the road again. The full procedure is detailed in this gov't document:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/CARS_FR.pdf

However, the car must then go to a certified disposal facility. If the car goes to a salvage auction, ONLY certified disposal facilities are allowed to bid on it. The disposal facilities are required to crush or shred the cars within 180-days.

These certifications, which are legally binding on the disposal facility, include a certification that the CARS trade-in vehicle will be crushed or shredded onsite within 180 days of receipt of the vehicle, that all toxic or hazardous components will be removed and properly disposed of prior to crushing or shredding, and that the vehicle will not be transferred to any other disposal facility before it is crushed or shredded.

So I guess it's not totally wasteful since I'm sure they can pull things like fenders and hoods. What sucks is that the kind of goodies a lot of us look for at salvage yards like interior parts, HUDs, wiring pigtails, etc. aren't likely to be pulled. If you see one of these cars at a salvage yard, you'd better take what you want as soon as you can because the car won't be there long.

Well, at least they get 6 months. Rims, tires, alternators....at least those will get a chance to be picked. Hell, I might be able to find leather seats in better shape then mine :mrgreen:

Agreed! Few and far between car repairs > new car payment

however I suppose if you were in the market for a new car now would be the time

It just sickens me to think of all the cool and unique cars getting trashed because people lack common sense. and yes, wipe all the cheap cars off the roads to hurt the lower class even more.

Who is funding this ridiculous scheme anyway?

And not to bash shawn, but that mentality is what ruins perfectly good cars so others can't enjoy them. i'm not letting big brother tell me what my car is worth or that it's a junker. i hate people running my life

well, we are. or at least one of the country's lenders, but that is more of a discussion for the I.P.P.

we sure won't wipe all the cheap cars off the road by a long shot, the program only runs through November. While I think it is kinda a waste of presumably decent cars, it only goes back 25 years now, so while that includes a bunch of our cars the true classics will be safe.

This program is designed to help get some gas guzzlers off of the road. It's targeting those people who are on the fence about buying a car and figure that they can save some cash by doing it now. Trust me, if my finacee's car was considered a clunker, I'd be GONE right now. It's just something that the government is using to try and spur auto sales, which is hopefully gonig to do some good in the manufacturing sector.

IMO, it's a good program. Sure it sucks that the cars might end up going to waste but at the same time...who cares? It's not like EVERY cheap car is going off of the road. ANd it's not like you are REQUIRED to go out and use this plan. I don't understand the "bitch" about the program and how "someone is running your life" by having this program.

Ok. I get that. but why crush them no questions asked. why can't they be parted out at least.

Fine, keep the "Gas Sucking" engines but at least sell off the good useable parts. lights, body parts, seats, etc. what a waste. another gov program built on good intentions, but of course, not thought through at all

I don't think crushing them is the right way to do it either. If anything, just make it harder to get it running again if it would go to a yard. Or, pull the motors and recycle those. They probably figure that if they don't crush them, that people will just get the car out of a yard and get it running again, therefore ruining the "work" they put into the program to (try to) help our environment a little bit better.

It's your typical government program. Like you said, good intentions but little thought.

And not to bash shawn, but that mentality is what ruins perfectly good cars so others can't enjoy them. i'm not letting big brother tell me what my car is worth or that it's a junker. i hate people running my life

What mentality are you referring to?

$50/month in repairs is probably WAY higher than I have to pay on any of my W's. I actually calculated my 89 averages $6/month, and that was several years ago. In the last 5 years, I think I've only needed a fuel pump and FPR.

The primary purpose with this program is to get people buying new cars to help the economy. Helping the environment was just a bonus, and something to make the program easier to stomach. After all, crushing perfectly good cars is extremely wasteful and itself bad for the environment. I'm interested in it because it's a good way to get rid of a car that has little monetary value, virtually zero demand, and get a new car that I can drive for awhile and easily flip for (hopefully) close to what I paid.

Fine, keep the "Gas Sucking" engines but at least sell off the good useable parts. lights, body parts, seats, etc. what a waste. another gov program built on good intentions, but of course, not thought through at all

MORE then likely they will get salvage auctioned rather then crushed, however I don't know for sure. But if they end up in junkyards then they will at least have some reuse.

MORE then likely they will get salvage auctioned rather then crushed, however I don't know for sure. But if they end up in junkyards then they will at least have some reuse.

Nope, see what I posted earlier.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=80625.0;msg=1095970

They all get crushed. They can go to salvage auction, but only certified disposal facilities are allowed to buy them. Salvage yards that are certified have 180-days to crush/shred them. That does give people some time to get parts off them though.

Thats a shame, I think it would help the economy even more by people salvaging parts off them. I mean not everyone can afford a new car, but they might be able to afford to fix up their "clunker".

My wife only gets 15mpg 100% city, just like the gov't website says it should. :(

Could be something not-quite-right with it, but it seems to run and drive just fine.

the lowest i ever got out of it was 17 but that was with cheap gas and 100% city

Shawn, the 50 a month i threw out there was just a random number. and crushing old cars does not help the environment at all. how much energy is used to make a new car? no way will that ever even out over using a "clunker" to the end of its lifespan.

What a waste of time, energy, and money.

Shawn, the 50 a month i threw out there was just a random number. and crushing old cars does not help the environment at all. how much energy is used to make a new car? no way will that ever even out over using a "clunker" to the end of its lifespan.

What a waste of time, energy, and money.

It's like I said, the primary purpose is to help ailing car companies. The fuel economy requirements are not necessarily to help the environment, but to reduce the environmental impact of the program. The environmental impact would have been MUCH worse had they allowed you to buy new cars with equal or worse fuel economy than your clunker. Environmentalists would have had a massive fit. At least with the fuel economy rules in place, it's possible the environmental impact balances out in the end.

Whether it's a waste of time or money is yet to be seen. Local news is reporting new car dealers are seeing a LOT of interest in this program... enough interest that people are already predicting the program will run out of money and be forced to end well before the Nov 1 deadline.

I saw a picture of a beautiful Jeep CJ on the front page of the Columbus Dispatch that someone had turned into Cash for Clunkers. Picture about broke my damn heart :facepalm:

National news is reporting that people are rushing to dealers and taking advantage of this in droves. Kind of interesting that $3500-4500 off is that exciting. That only covers the first year's depreciation.