Oh, W-Body, how I love thee...why?

RPE1992GPSE

You must have owned some gigantic pile of shit W cars if you find an S-Series of all things more entertaining and more reliable. S-series rank up there with riding mowers when it comes to being fun to drive.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• GOT2B GM

• jake91

• mfewtrail

You must have owned some gigantic pile of shit W cars if you find an S-Series of all things more entertaining and more reliable. S-series rank up there with riding mowers when it comes to being fun to drive.

Quoted for troof !

I had a 1989 Regal and it threw a rod in an intersection. I said I'd never buy another GM car. That was in 1998.

The Regal I have now is okay. The engine's given me trouble (damn gaskets) and now something's screwy with the computer. Its new trick is getting stuck in a gear. But I feel safe driving it and it looks pretty good. Nevermind that it's built like a Sherman tank and drives like one too.

I've always liked the styling of the W-bodies and there are so many diverse choices of W's. They are well equipped even by today's standards, run forever, and the W-body is a solid platform compared to A or N platforms.

My first car was a Lumina Euro given to me by the parents, but as a kid I always loved this GTP that was on our block. It was a Dark Teal Metallic 94-96 w/ black crosslaces. Man it was hot. A year ago I was looking around for a 2nd gen GTP, but saw Luke's for sale similar to the one (and identical in color) I saw as a kid and bought it instead. Now I've got the cool car on the block. My little brother's friends all think it's badass (and probably a lot faster than it actually is, but shhhhh :wink:).

I like my W-Body '95 Cutlass 3.4 DOHC convertible, because I've been driving a '94 Chrysler LeBaron GTC convertible for the past 4 years.

I'll admit, I've enjoyed the LeBaron, mostly because I wasn't aware there was something better I could afford. The Cutlass is quieter, smoother running, more comfortable, better handling, has a real trunk, and enough room in the back to allow my 3 kids (12, 14, and 16) to ride without being packed in like sardines.

I like, too that when I need a part, I actually FIND what I need available on several different models of vehicles--on the LeBaron, frequently the part I needed was only used a model year or so, which made finding the correct parts very difficult.

Oh, yeah...the 70 more horsepower the 3.4 DOHC in the Cutlass makes over the Mitsubishi made 3.0 V-6 in the LeBaron means that in situations that the LeBaron felt like it was working hard, the Cutlass is just loafing.

Overall, the Cutlass is superior in almost every way to my LeBaron...though I will grant that I wish the top on the Cutlass laid down as nicely as the one on the LeBaron does..

Becuase it's what the dealer had on the lot :lol:

Never would have thought I'd end up driving a GM, as I always thought of them as unreliable pieces of crap! But I rather enjoy my Monte now that I have it.

Becuase it's what the dealer had on the lot :lol:

Never would have thought I'd end up driving a GM, as I always thought of them as unreliable pieces of crap! But I rather enjoy my Monte now that I have it.

Rather, W-Bodies are reliable pieces of crap. :lol:

Rather, W-Bodies are reliable pieces of crap. :lol:

...(sigh)...

so true... yet depressing at the same time...

oh well, "drive it till it dies" applies with the frankenstein-to-be Monte thats with me now... i'll sure miss it should it die before i do. can't say that about other vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have plenty of money, enough to buy a new car definitely. But new car = $1500/year for plates. My 92 = $500/year for plates. I only drive 5000 miles in a year, and at 30 mpg, and $4/gallon, that's ~$700 of fuel.

So basically, just to drive a new car, it would cost me more extra than my entire yearly fuel expense.

I can keep my W-body on the road for less than $2k/year, even if I spend $500/year on maintenance (which seems about right -- would be less if I hadn't been ripped off by a brake shop for $1700 to re-do calipers and rotors all around to pass inspection when my ankles were broken a few years back!).

Plus the new cars, at the dealers' lots, aren't any more efficient than mine (unless I upgraded to diesel!). Go check the fuel economy of a brand new Pontiac G6. Or a Honda Accord. Pretty much the same as my 1992 model.

I have plenty of money, enough to buy a new car definitely. But new car = $1500/year for plates. My 92 = $500/year for plates.

Is that $500/yr for registration? If so...ouch! My '93 was around $30 this year(and that's went up a few bucks...after years of continually/slowly dropping).

my insurance is 1000 and my registration is like 80 . oh how i hate being 18

monte reg: $72

insurance: ..........

it doesn't get any better by 20 jake, so don't be surprised :lol:

its been over a year since i got my last ticket... then again, i haven't been driving all that much either.

when my dad put me on his policy, it was less than 100 a month for full coverage on the monte, 70 monte, tahoe, el camino, and i think one more..... it wasn't bad when i was 16.

being 20 now, with just the monte, on my own...... i is SO broke...