Wheel bearings 2000 Buick Century

Mark802

My wife’s 2000 Buick Century started making an odd “humming noise†a couple of months ago emanating from the passenger side front wheel. I’m pretty sure it’s the wheel bearing(s) however the odd thing is that the noise is only present, at speeds above 30 and only while turning to the right.

I put the front end up and ran the car in gear moving the steering from right to left to see if I could hear anything but the noise of the engine prevented hearing anything else. Physically rotating the wheel in neutral produced no detection of looseness or roughness in the bearing hub, it feels perfectly normal.

Now I’m thinking that since the noise only appears in right bends that it’s loading the wheel bearings “away†from the spindle and that maybe turning the axle nut a flat or two tighter might have some affect.

Anybody ever come across this before?

Thanks much.

While the car was up, did you grab the wheel and jerk is side to side and up and down?

Most likely is a failing wheel bearing, which would not be uncommon.

On another note, are you sure that your brake caliper sliders are functioning correctly? Meaning, if one slider is working fine, and the other is not, the pad and rotor could be getting worn un-even. While turning, you may here a slight sound. Easy check is to see if the pads are wearing even.

If it is the wheel bearing, http://www.rockauto.com Timken PN 513121 is the one you want.

• 2 years later...

I ran across this thread through google and am having the same issue. Does the Hub assembly include the bearing? I found it here for a very good price but i do not want to buy the wrong part. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Automotive-513121-Hub-Assembly/dp/B000YE194I/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=LeSabre|388&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Buick|45&Year=2000|2000&newCar=1&carId=001

• 2 weeks later...

TIMKEN!, get it from Rockauto.... I was going to alson mention if you do buy the part from Amazon, as its pretty cheap I wouldn't doubt you will be taking that bearing off, and spending another $50.00 bearing for the cheap one you bought orginally. Don't waist your time, unless you really hate your self.

• 3 weeks later...

May try swapping the tires from front to back or left to right to see if the noise follows a tire. If it doesn't, then I would throw a new bearing on there.

-Justin

• 4 weeks later...

I bought 2 Timken wheel bearings part #513044 and installed them 2 months ago and one is bad. Got it off eBay seller. To confirm the bad bearing, I set my emergency brake, lifted the suspected wheel off the ground a few inches, started her up, put her in drive, and slowly let off the brake and eased on the gas. I don't have to tell you there is some risk with this. Now, I still will replace with nothing but a Timken.