synthetic oil?

jake91

oh i know i have never let a car go over 5K i normally always change mine between 2500-3500

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• xtremerevolution

• pitzel

• tornado_735

Its not 'idiotic' at all. New oil contains a lot of crap that has to be boiled off in the first couple thousand km's,

so your going 40000 km not 40000 miles

Roughly 60,000km... which is ~40k miles... I don't have my calculator handy... I would've left it longer, but the LIM had leaked and I had to rip the engine apart to fix that...

so if the manufacturer (gm) suggested 7500 miles on some cars, and even 10,000-12,000 miles on my bonneville, why didn't they suggest an astronomically higher 40,000+ miles on 3100/3400's?

so if the manufacturer (gm) suggested 7500 miles on some cars, and even 10,000-12,000 miles on my bonneville, why didn't they suggest an astronomically higher 40,000+ miles on 3100/3400's?

Damn straight X2 xtreme!!! LOL

i'm not jumping on the never change your oil bandwagon, but GM and every other auto manufacturer are WAY too closely tied in to the oil companies to let that happen. i do believe some vehicles can go more than the 3000 i'm used to, but even in the manual for my monte, it states 7500 miles in everything except "severe duty". so they basicly more than doubled the mileage in only a few years...

that doesn't stop me from changing it every 3000 though...

The 10-12k on your bonneville is with conventional oil, and is a recommendation made a number of years ago. It was made such that the *worst* quality oil (that met API spec) would pass, under the worst conditions imaginable (think of idling in the +50C traffic of Phoenix, Arizona or Dallas). Obviously, if you use a modern oil (nearly everything on the shelves today contains at least some synthetic component), don't operate under the most extreme of conditions, and otherwise keep your car maintained, the interval that will work without issue will be much higher.

Also, as others have pointed out, the 'oil change' is a draw to get people to take their cars in for 'other' maintenance, just like vaccinations are a scam that doctors use to get children into their shops for 'other' medical services like psychotropic medicating. Most people don't have the knowledge to perform a proper mechanical inspection of a car, so the oil change is an opportunity whereby a car gets a 'check-up' from someone who ostensibly knows a little about cars. Sometimes the recommended repairs are required, sometimes they're a complete scam (when I was a kid, the tyre shops always used to scam my mom into getting 4 new tyres on her car when half the tread was still intact!, or unnecessary wheel alignments and 'balancing' which are often complete scams themselves, especially when the 'mechanics' start making up funny names for car parts that simply do not exist, simply because mechanically disinclined people often don't know any better..).

just like vaccinations are a scam that doctors use to get children into their shops for 'other' medical services like psychotropic medicating.

Oh please. :roll:

The 10-12k on your bonneville is with conventional oil, and is a recommendation made a number of years ago. It was made such that the *worst* quality oil (that met API spec) would pass, under the worst conditions imaginable (think of idling in the +50C traffic of Phoenix, Arizona or Dallas). Obviously, if you use a modern oil (nearly everything on the shelves today contains at least some synthetic component), don't operate under the most extreme of conditions, and otherwise keep your car maintained, the interval that will work without issue will be much higher.

Also, as others have pointed out, the 'oil change' is a draw to get people to take their cars in for 'other' maintenance, just like vaccinations are a scam that doctors use to get children into their shops for 'other' medical services like psychotropic medicating. Most people don't have the knowledge to perform a proper mechanical inspection of a car, so the oil change is an opportunity whereby a car gets a 'check-up' from someone who ostensibly knows a little about cars. Sometimes the recommended repairs are required, sometimes they're a complete scam (when I was a kid, the tyre shops always used to scam my mom into getting 4 new tyres on her car when half the tread was still intact!, or unnecessary wheel alignments and 'balancing' which are often complete scams themselves, especially when the 'mechanics' start making up funny names for car parts that simply do not exist, simply because mechanically disinclined people often don't know any better..).

the 10-12k on my Bonneville is with the **required** Fully Synthetic oil for the 32V 4.6L Northstar V8.

just like vaccinations are a scam that doctors use to get children into their shops for 'other' medical services like psychotropic medicating.

Oh please. :roll:

Actually there is a lot of controversy surrounding this as I myself have read some studies that suggest that vaccines are losing their effectiveness and that viruses that survive just grow stronger.

It was made such that the *worst* quality oil (that met API spec) would pass, under the worst conditions imaginable (think of idling in the +50C traffic of Phoenix, Arizona or Dallas). Obviously, if you use a modern oil (nearly everything on the shelves today contains at least some synthetic component), don't operate under the most extreme of conditions, and otherwise keep your car maintained, the interval that will work without issue will be much higher.

This makes perfect sense. They want everyone to believe in the whole 3000m thing, since ^^^^ like stated, it would cover even the crappiest oils and most people's negligence, and any higher quality of oil would be just fine with a longer interval. I understand the concept in the point he is making.

Besides 'damaging the o2 sensors' like someone suggested, what is the harm in changing the oil every 3-4000 miles? If it's environmental thing, most of us are either doing to be dead or pooping in adult diapers before any of this environmental crap is going to come around!

I have better things to worry about than what the earth is going to be like in a hundred years. I'm gonna be dead! I don't care!

I feel like I'm being a bit of an ass, and that's not my intention. I'm just extremely skeptical about the whole 40k mile oil thing. I don't know how different some engines are from others, but I knew an idiot who bought and drive a Ford F150 (don't recall the year) for 55k miles and never knew he needed to change the oil until the engine seized up on him and he needed a new car.

Given what you've just said though, it would make sense that under any driving conditions, the right kind of Synthetic oil might last a longer time, though I can't fathom how. Where would one get their oil checked?

This is a bit different though. All engines consume some oil over a long period of time. I'm willing to assume your friend didn't check the oil level and ran thru whatever was left in the crankcase after all those miles.

Besides 'damaging the o2 sensors' like someone suggested, what is the harm in changing the oil every 3-4000 miles? If it's environmental thing, most of us are either doing to be dead or pooping in adult diapers before any of this environmental crap is going to come around!

Well, if the oxygen sensor is damaged by excessive phosophorous contamination, then you'll burn more fuel which costs you more money. Also, the other parts of the intake will be more contaminated when you use new oil, because most of the 'boil-off' occurs in the first couple thousand miles. A good synthetic 10k miles into its use really doesn't evaporate into much of anything, and thus, doesn't gunk up your components.

And of course, its critical that if one is using long drains, that they keep an eye on the oil level, and, in the 3.1/3100/3400, the coolant level as well.

And this thread just took an amazingly brain damaged turn for the worst.

And this thread just took an amazingly brain damaged turn for the worst.

That's what I'm saying!