synthetic oil?

jake91

okay so i may be getting over my hate of synthetic oil. so what i want to know is what do you guys think of it, and what is better about it. also dont suggest any oil brands because i only use valvoline

thanks jake

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• xtremerevolution

• pitzel

• tornado_735

with my turbo cars i have always used synthetic. it has a higher temp range for coking in turbo, it also flows easier at low temps. i drive this every day and here in mich. it gets below zero.

The only time I don't use synthetic is when I'm being cheap and while I'm breaking in my recently rebuilt motor. I stick with Mobil 1, just cause.

okay so i may be getting over my hate of synthetic oil. so what i want to know is what do you guys think of it, and what is better about it. also dont suggest any oil brands because i only use valvoline

thanks jake

Why may I ask are you stuck on Valvoline?

While more expensive ($1 per quart more), Royal Purple claims guaranteed horsepower gains.

Do you have some gripe against other brands?

There isn't really any downside to using synthetic oil, aside from the fact that

1. its really unnecessary in non-turbo w-bodies

2. its really expensive compared to conventional oil

3. the performance gains, if any, are negligible

This thread was full of fail from the start. Try not to take this the wrong way, but you came in here saying you're getting over your hate for synthetic oil. I don't really see absolutely any reason to *hate* synthetic oil, because all of its properties (aside from cost) are superior to conventional oil, and you have every choice no to use it.

Furthermore, you state that you don't use anything but Valvoline. That's like someone saying they don't buy anything but Toyota. There are few differneces, if any, between brands in Synthetic oil.

In the past, I've used Royal Purple, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobile 1, and Castrol, all with identical results. I've also used various synthetic blend oils, even from Walmart.

Do some research.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

I used to run a variety of brands, but believed that Royal Purple or Mobil 1 were the best. Then I ran into a guy who is a real gear head and a retired petroleum expert for the military. He does all kinds of tests and has samples tested when the oil is new, partially used, and fully exhausted. His research led to Pennzoil being the best off of the shelf synthetic and Shaeffers being the best is you can find a dealer near you or if you are willing to order and have it shipped. Each oil has additives in it. These are determined by the manufacturer and these are what really set the oils apart.

He showed that Royal Purple changed their formulation about 18 months ago. They used to be one of the best, but not anymore. Take it for what its worth. I figure if I am spending my $$$ on synthetic I am going to get the best I can.

ROYAL PURPLE SUCKS!

no really, its not good and has been proven not good for street use as its missing key additves (look it up)

just use mobil 1 or castrol syntec (castrol is used at GM aswell)

and if u want some very good synthetic use motul.... the only oil ive never really seen burn before. people go 10k miles on this + with no issues at all... my 2001 has used motul for the last 4 years

ROYAL PURPLE SUCKS!

no really, its not good and has been proven not good for street use as its missing key additves (look it up)

just use mobil 1 or castrol syntec (castrol is used at GM aswell)

and if u want some very good synthetic use motul.... the only oil ive never really seen burn before. people go 10k miles on this + with no issues at all... my 2001 has used motul for the last 4 years

People with cars designed to go 10k miles on an oil change will go 10k miles on that oil. However, synthetic oil contaminates just as quickly as conventional oil, and as such does not extend your interval between oil changes. This is a very common misconception.

Why may I ask are you stuck on Valvoline?

Do you have some gripe against other brands?

I don't really see absolutely any reason to *hate* synthetic oil

Do some research.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

i guess hate was the wrong word. i havent been fond of them mainly because i had no knowledge of it (i know stupid reason to dislike something) and i had heard some stuff about it like "if your engine didnt leak before it will now".

as for valvoline i use it because its a good oil, and its what i always use, my dad always uses, and my grandfather always used. so i figure it must be good.

and my dad had used other brands of oil that ended gunking up the engine

The leaking rumor is true on some engines. It happens because would-be leaks are often plugged by sludge or the like therefore stopping the leak. Synthetic cleans engines which means it can remove the sludge and there you have a leak.

I've always used Mobil 1 full synthetic in all my cars.

I've had great luck with Amsoil in my bikes as well... never tried it in the cars though.

you can get motul from alot of performance shops here, not so sure about the USA... i use the 8100 motul (havent bought any yet as my car came with extra)

but heres some info..

Motul 8100 is Ester based oil (group 5 oil, I googled it LOL)

300V has Double Ester

only group 4 & 5 oils are true synthetic

Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil etc 's synthetic are group 3 oil

-----------------------------------------------

years ago Mobil 1 used to use group 4 oil

& back then they had a lawsuit w/ Castrol

because Castrol used group 3 oil & claimed it synthetic

the lawyer played around the word "synthetic" & Castrol won the case

after that Mobil 1 do the same shit (so as other companies)

used group 3 oil & claimed it synthetic

basically the word synthetic is a joke in alot of cases.... anyways

motul isnt really necessary as i think its about 60/ 5L canadian, or $15 more per 5L (mobile 1 is about 40 for 4.4L here.

People with cars designed to go 10k miles on an oil change will go 10k miles on that oil. However, synthetic oil contaminates just as quickly as conventional oil, and as such does not extend your interval between oil changes. This is a very common misconception.

Exactly, I still change my oil right on even when I run synthetic. Your filter can still only filter so much as well.

What about AMSOIL's claims of 12 months/ 25K miles per oil change; 15K severe driving (though you have to use their filter for them to guarantee it)

What about AMSOIL's claims of 12 months/ 25K miles per oil change; 15K severe driving (though you have to use their filter for them to guarantee it)

Just try it buddy, and see how your car runs after 15k without an oil change. Not on a w-body.