synthetic oil?

jake91

What does it being a W-body have to do with it? I run my AmsOil for a year. It only gets about 3k on it in that year, but the specs say 25k or one year. It runs just as good the day the oil gets changed and I don't even notice a drop in oil pressure. Still pretty damn clean too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• xtremerevolution

• pitzel

• tornado_735

What does it being a W-body have to do with it? I run my AmsOil for a year. It only gets about 3k on it in that year, but the specs say 25k or one year. It runs just as good the day the oil gets changed and I don't even notice a drop in oil pressure. Still pretty damn clean too.

W-bodies in general aren't like other cars. Oil seems to get contaminated MUCH more quickly on my 3800 Regal as it does on my Northstar Bonneville, which is probably why I can go 10k miles with my Bonneville.

Oil pressure has absolutely nothing to do with the kind of oil you're using btw.

3k is probably still a bit early. I generally go about 3500 miles on an oil change, as I've found that anything past that results in a bit of roughness at higher RPMs and a rougher idle.

Supertech Synthetic is pretty alright stuff. I use it in my Bonneville, change it every 5k. I just dumped 5.5 qts of it in my z34 as well. for $17 for a 5qt bottle it simply cannot be beat.

my thoughts on synthetic really boil down to how many miles are on the car, has it had dino oil its whole life?

What about AMSOIL's claims of 12 months/ 25K miles per oil change; 15K severe driving (though you have to use their filter for them to guarantee it)

I have a diesel truck and this is where Amsoil really is popular. Many of my friends use Amsoil. For this to work correctly, you need to installa bypass filtration system. You still sample the oil every 5k miles and change your filter as well. It's not like you change it and leave it for 25k. For me, it wouldn't be worth the hassle on a car. Heck, I don't even do it on my truck.

W-bodies in general aren't like other cars. Oil seems to get contaminated MUCH more quickly on my 3800 Regal as it does on my Northstar Bonneville, which is probably why I can go 10k miles with my Bonneville.

You have also stated in the past that you go WOT every other stoplight/takeoff. So yeah, your oil is probably going to be dirtier than someone who babies their cars.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but everyone's situation is different, especially with you owning a 3800 1st gen Regal, I don't think you have much of a case to make about W-Bodies being so much different than other cars. Especially since the 3.1/2.8's are in a LOT of other cars.

Supertech Synthetic is pretty alright stuff. I use it in my Bonneville, change it every 5k. I just dumped 5.5 qts of it in my z34 as well. for $17 for a 5qt bottle it simply cannot be beat.

my thoughts on synthetic really boil down to how many miles are on the car, has it had dino oil its whole life?

the car has 75000 miles, and as far as i know it has always had "dino" oil :lol:

you think I don't go WOT in my bonneville all the time? Right now i'm averaging 15.3 mpg city/highway with that V8, so take a guess as to how I drive it.

has anyone here read the article I posted??? everyone keeps posting guessed speculations without factual evidence and its going nowhere.

You have also stated in the past that you go WOT every other stoplight/takeoff. So yeah, your oil is probably going to be dirtier than someone who babies their cars.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but everyone's situation is different, especially with you owning a 3800 1st gen Regal, I don't think you have much of a case to make about W-Bodies being so much different than other cars. Especially since the 3.1/2.8's are in a LOT of other cars.

Il have to x2 that. :high5: As far as sythetic oil goes, I have been useing max life sythetic blend in the monte with no problems.

Just put SuperTech full synthetic in the TGP about 15 mins ago 5w30. You are foolish to think that Supertech isn't made at a refinery right alongside many brand name oils. It has to meet the same guidelines as the namebrands.

ALL oils are made at the same place. The only difference is the different additives that each company chooses to add in to their oil.

im also going to use valvoline because i signed my car up with there oil guarantee. which state if your car ever breaks down do to a problem cause by lubrication issues they will cover your engine up to $5000. untill your car has 300,000 miles

really? i hear a "oops, must've been low on oil" claim going on when someone tires of their original motor after draining a few quarts out...

im also going to use valvoline because i signed my car up with there oil guarantee. which state if your car ever breaks down do to a problem cause by lubrication issues they will cover your engine up to $5000. untill your car has 300,000 miles

No kidding? I will have to look into that. :cool:

you can only apply if the car has less than 75k with all original parts nothing aftermarket

you can only apply if the car has less than 75k with all original parts nothing aftermarket

wow, 95% of w-body was just disqualified....

wow, 95% of w-body was just disqualified....

LOLOL

everybody has their reasons for liking a type or brand of oil. i like royal purple and i change the oil filter at 3000 miles and the oil at 6000 miles. synthetic has shown to be better for turbo engines and high temps. a friend who used to be a team engineer for a pennzoil indy car team always had the pennzoil bottles but they had mobil 1 racing products in them. this was back in the early to mid 90s, but the race car used mobil 1. synthetics are used by dealers to clean up a sludged up engine, i read a service bulletin recently and they said to use synthetic oil for 2 oil changes , but i don't remeber exactly, possibly a saturn bulletin.

I use Valvoline Max Life, and if I can't afford it, I use conventional Kendall. Just a superstition thing.