my 1990 mclaren TGP tranny is a goner, rebuild or buy used?

McLaren1

hey guys, my tranny is slippin awful and time to do somethin about it. im assuming it costs a fortune to rebuild? r there rebuild kits for it? same as regular GTP tranny? differences? possible? got a line on a used TGP tranny for $350. better off goin with a functional used one? good price? anyone in wisconsin area with experience with our turbo cars wanna rebuild it for me? any options or info is appreciated!.........scot

might be worth looking into that used one and have someone rebuild it and swap it out but I would make sure it was 100% for sure an original tgp 4t60 HD trans.

thats why I got a spare one laying around. otherwise you may as well just bring the car to a shop and pay the $2500 or whatever.

After doing many used auto trans swaps in w cars and having some transmissions just puke shortly after being swapped, I would much sooner pay my local trans shop $1400 to rebuild mine to better then new spec. Its a good bit to pay, but it gives me a great performing trans and piece of mind.

Avoid most of the chain places and find a small shop that does good work, I found mine by word of mouth.

the used tranny is in a TGP i have already stolen parts out of so i know its the right thing. i guess it could have been replaced as well. is there a special tag on tranny somewhere to verify? what should it say? would a regular GTP tranny get roasted by my turbo? maybe the yard can look for me and identify it. told them to call me on price for whats left of the car. maybe i can sell whatevers left to get a free tranny. motors still in it so a spare motor would be nice too i would think if i ever needed to rebuild?? im on a budget so all this rebuilding with fancy new parts and stalls is out of the question for a few years. just want to keep it driven til i can afford to do something more permanant...........scot

a GTP would have an E tranny, and would NOT be compatible with your car...

I do know someone did use an E tranny in their tgp, but they ran manual toggle switches to shift the transmission. I am sure someone who can code could hack the chip and make a tgp e-tranny chip...

the partial VIN is on the rear passenger side of the case, see if it matches the car. if the TGP has a "remanufactured" tag on the side case cover, I'd stay away.

I helped psychomatt install a used TGP tranny in his car, and it puked after about 6 months.

After doing many used auto trans swaps in w cars and having some transmissions just puke shortly after being swapped, I would much sooner pay my local trans shop $1400 to rebuild mine to better then new spec. Its a good bit to pay, but it gives me a great performing trans and piece of mind.

Avoid most of the chain places and find a small shop that does good work, I found mine by word of mouth.

it was $1400 installed into your vehicle? thats an insanely good deal if so. I would love to find a shop around here that cheap. the cheapest place I could find was aamco for $2100 but that was years ago. most places wanted $2200-$2600.

Yes, It was $1400 installed... well in the end I paid $1500 to get the 4t60e rebuilt in my Bonneville, I ended up having a bent subframe from the previous owner and they replaced that for another $100 on top of the $1400. Been about 1.5 years now with this trans and 40,000 miles. Still shifts firm and fast, just like it did 40k ago.

From what I can gather they will do must any GM FWD trans for about $1400. Just 2 old guys that run a hole in the wall shop, and they do top notch work.