transmission vac modulator?

Marcus18

I bought one from advanced auto parts, but it's smaller. When I shake the old one I here fluid inside. is that normal?

I changed it and I guess I didn't secure it right and dumped almost all fluid out of tranny. now I have to wait for the thing to cool down before I can put it back in.

marcus

Fluid is not supposed to be in the Modulator. Is the one you got Bronze in color?? Either way, all you do it put it in the hole, then tighten the retaining bracket down, and it should meet up right

Robby

There are different designs for the modulator. You have to make sure there is a pin in the transmission, or included with the new modulator that will allow the modulator to engage the piston in the transmission. There will either be a noticeable part sticking out of the old modulator, or skinny piece in the modulator bore in the tranny. If it doesn't have this, it won't engage the piston in the tranny properly.

Its usually not an issue, but something to check.

Chris

well heres how my day went yesterday. 8:00 I get up and start pulling plugs. while I was pulling them I figured why not change the modulator while I'm at it, I have the part.(my transmission has been acting up)

so I changed it. I get in and drive it down the road. every time I hit the gas it downshifts to first. I was thinking it was the wrong thing or the vacume line wasn't tight enough. so I fix the vacume line tighter. I jump in the car crank it up and smoke every were! I shut it off and hang my head out the door under the car and see transmission fluid everywhere.

so I'm thinking wow my transmissions shot now! so I lift the hood and fluid everywhere, everythings smoking and the modulator is hanging by the vac line. so I let it cool down for a few hours and go in and put the modulator in this time I noticed you had to push it it hard and then tighten th retainer. so I put a few quarts of fluid in it and wait for my dad to get home. well he gets home about 7pm and I take his car to the gas station and grab four quarts and head home. I put them in and crank it up.

I take it for a test drive. samething as before,so I go home and park in almost the same spot get out of the car and whats this? I little barbel looking thing. "hay dad think this is from my tranny?" "looks like the valve from behind the modulator" sooooo I take it back out and put the thing in then crank it up. drive it down the road and everything works so I turn around and floor it home halfway there somehow(haven't been up there to check yet) the bottum end of the turbo to intercooler pipe blows off at full boost. that is a freaky noise at 70mph. booom! lose power and now boost is at zero. I figured what it was and went home. now before I go to school I have to fix that.

so I had loads of fun yesterday.

marcus