sub box build

Garrett Powered

been working on this out in the shop over the last month or so. wanted to build a super lightweight 1000 watt system for the widow so all I used for it was cardboard and fiberglass. the only MDF used is the 1/2 inch baffle plate behind the cardboard and 1/4" cladding on the front. I used bondoglass filler and finished the seams with rage then painted it and coated it one last time. used about a gallon and a half of speaker honey.

kdk_0073.jpgkdk_0080.jpgkdk_0090.jpgkdk_0118.jpgkdk_0122.jpgkdk_0124.jpgkdk_0123.jpgkdk_0126.jpgkdk_0127.jpg

Very nice!

I'm surprised the hinge doesn't hit it!

I'm working on something for my trunk too, but its not going to be nearly as involved, lol.

Jamie

nope hinge misses it by at least an inch.

I probably spent 20 minutes a day sometimes less. I never ran into any problems with the project, it went pretty smoothly and just as I imagined it. you wiggle it around a little and it just pops into place nice and snug.

I will probably just carpet the spare tire area. I don't use a spare tire. Got AAA+ and a cell phone.

looks great, wana make me a couple?... lol

:razz: not till mines done. You could copy me though.

You could have made it with even less wood, and no cardboard. In fact, I would be worried with the structural integrity of the carboard.

Please tell me that you atleast added a few layers of matting on the inside of the box??!!

I think the cardboard was just a template?

Unless he put a release agent on the cardboard, there is no way in hell you are getting that out from underneath. Once fiberglass is stuck to something as porous as cardboard, it's not coming out.

Now that I think about it, definatley not a bad idea as far as an initial structure is concerned. However, I wouldn't rely on it for strength. I would still apply the same amount of matting on the inside of the box as not using cardboard for a structure.

you can see in the picture below the first cardboard pic how the cardboard first got saturated with resin and the thick weave fiberglass "rebar" is what I call it, layer was applied(you can kind of see the texture of it). I used the rebar two layers thick inside all over after I initially sealed off the whole inside corners with the regular cloth cut into little squares. then after all that I kept dumping more batches of resin and added more layers of the thick weave here and there anywhere there was some flex.

Then after all that I cut identical rebar pieces to match the 1/4 inch panels and brushed them on the face of it and screwed on the panels before it dried so that the wood bonded to the enclosure. so basically the cardboard is completely sealed off within probably 10 layers of resin, glass, and well placed and carefully gauged mdf. Cardboard was very easy to use as the initial shape template, but even saturated in resin, does little to provide stiffness for those planes and had to be significantly reinforced with mdf. the complex curves of the rest of the enclosure required less reinforcement. the faceplate baffle is the only area that needs wood for the screws of the speaker to bite in so I added an extra 1/2 inch piece for that, but I have no idea how I could have used less wood than that and still get all my requirements met for looks, stiffness, and baffle thickness. An equivalently stiff mdf cube box would have to be 1" thick board, at least if you wanted a 1000 watt sub in a box with no flex.

I can still pick the box up with one hand and wave it around in the air, its only like 20-25lbs. my last wheelwell enclosure was backbreaking to try and get in and out of the trunk. I built that one WAY overkill.

• 1 year later...

damn guys, this speaker is VERY impressive. the Boston SPG555 is in the red tgp now. I just heard it for the first time a few days ago after getting pissed off at myself for buying the speaker, and building that box , and driving around bump-less for the last couple years.

the way the sub sounds reverse mounted, way back in the corner gives a good dispersion of bass waves through the car. I really can say now that the position of the cone is working to the advantage of the overall sound from my personal experience, and not just from the few people I have heard this works well from.

It sucks having so many projects started and forgetting about one this awesome for so long. I mean, this REALLY sounds good. I got 1200 watts @1 ohm mono amp going to it and a "tri-pack" of caps set up for the juice. its full HQ sounds for minimal space; there is tons of trunk space still available for tossing shit back there. I went out and did some shopping for groceries, which is a lot to do with my job, and loaded up stuff and delivered it to the deli. was able to fit quite a bit in there around the sub, and the magnet serves as a guard for the cone! this is great, because a car with no cargo space is worthless for a DD for me.

I got the amp and caps mounted in some foam for mocking it up the test run. so it looks a little funny, but its not "finished" yet. but the power supply, I pretty much nailed it on the first try, which is the most important part of doing it big like this. going out to snap some photos of it right now...