new rebuild

95cutty96

Yea so I'm planning on doing a complete engine rebuild on my 96 cutlass as soon as it gets warm anyone know any tricks I can do to hey more compression out of the 3100?? I'm up for anything to get some power out of this beast

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95cutty96

• 19Cutlass94

• RobertISaar

• 98montels

why in the world would you replace a 3100 with a DOHC?

3400 is the easiest swap ever. But if you wanna stick with your 3100, then head work and a cam are your best options to get power. But dont go too crazy unless you plan on tuning.

Gonna have to vote for the 3400 swap myself...

More realistic than some of the others posted, 455ci :lol: dreamer! lol

I dunno why people suggest an LQ1 swap... yeah its a kick ass engine, but there is no aftermarket for it... whats the point in swapping in an engine with no aftermarket available to it? The big reason behind engine swaps is looking for more power, you can't build on an engine with no after market.

So yeah, 3400 swap it!

Jamie

why in the world would you replace a 3100 with a DOHC?

3400 is the easiest swap ever. But if you wanna stick with your 3100, then head work and a cam are your best options to get power. But dont go too crazy unless you plan on tuning.

x2, that and using 3400 heads/intake manifolds. You can't easily bump compression. You'd need to go use different pistons (such as pistons meant for an iron-headed 3.4 (Camaro)) run a large cam to keep dynamic compression in check, and have it tuned.

So does anyone know how difficult it is to do the 4.6 northstar swap in my cutlass

Plan on not having a car for 6 months to a year and spending thousands of dollars. The easiest swap is the 3400, they're plentiful, and there should be a thread or 2 on doing the swap on this board. I think you just swap out some of the accesories and of course use your motor mounts, you may possibly have to switch out the fuel rail and injectors, but maybe not, I think that is only for running a 3400 inplace of a 3.1 MPFI not the 3100 SFI. I think the 3400 is pretty much plug and play after swaping the accessories and other crap.

Another option is find a 3800 W-body (regal, or 98-99 monte or LTZ lumina for a series II) and take the entire drivetrain and computer and swap it in.

The LQ1 is another option like everyone said, but if you're looking for reliability with minimal cost, stay away. It is a fun motor, but it's very high maintinence compared to a 3400 or 3800. Depending on you mechanical ability, plan on spending alot of money, or alot of time doing maintinence on the LQ1. It's also harder to find an LQ1 in great shape than a 3400 or 3800. 3400's were in w-body's, grand ams, aleros, minivans, and a few others.

Yes I know but anyone ever done the 4.6 swap? I either am going to make a money pit 3100 with some power or a v8

you and others have said this and i have yet to see one person do it.

Yes I know but anyone ever done the 4.6 swap? I either am going to make a money pit 3100 with some power or a v8

I have about the same as you assuming the subframe is prolly identical. You would just have to wire it and make sure it clears in the hood.

Being it's a w-body it should fit like myn. But there may be some complications who knows.

See signature for a example pic...... :biggrin:

See signature for a example pic...... :biggrin:

didnt know about this one!

I remember the 6 spd swap into the GP, but i didnt know there was a N* swap in it was well.

IDK it was on ebay a while back and had the N* and a manual trans.

It was a 96-03 style GP I believe.

I remember reading on here somewhere that the Montes had a bit more clearance by the firewall than all the other w's. I don't remember how much of a difference it is although.