How Much Oil Does Your Car Burn?

oldscsc

My cars don't leak nor burn any discernable amount of oil at all. The oil levels always stay full during my oil change intervals. I fix any leaks as soon as I come across them, so my cars rarely have leaks.

X2

Though the Monte and Euro seem to have "wet" oil pans all the time. No drops, puddles, or wet undercarriage. SOoooooooooooo :rolleyes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mfewtrail

• Addicted To Boost

• Night Fury

• slick

My cars don't leak nor burn any discernable amount of oil at all. The oil levels always stay full during my oil change intervals. I fix any leaks as soon as I come across them, so my cars rarely have leaks.

Zero on both of my GPs... However the TGP belched a quart or two of trans fluid onto the garage floor while I was gone :lol: Time for a new trans pan gasket!

Sure it's the trans pan gasket? They usually don't leak other than a small drip when the bolts are loose. The stock reuseable gasket(assuming it's still on your car) rarely break or leak.

Yeah I'm pretty sure its the pan gasket.. I don't know where else it could be leaking, and it is only leaking trans fluid. It is red oil, and the trans pan gasket is definitely leaking. I try to keep my engine bays as spotless as possible.

The lines are okay, that was the first thing I checked. I'm thinking its just the pan gasket. I guess I'll find out the next time I see it.. whenever that is :willynilly:

It burned probably 1/4 quart in 3000 miles last year. Then used restore and it burns none. Then the oil pump drive seal went, leaked a lot. Now that is fixed so its pretty solid. But, the oil pan is always wet it seems... maybe oil pan gasket? It seems to drip occasionally.

The head gaskets, LIM, UIM, oil pump drive, and trans are all less than or just over a year old.

I'm not even sure.

I know she's not leaking oil anywhere, and the oil level stays pretty good throughout.

When I was changing the oil every 3k (when I had the money) the oil was coming out clean and sweet, and the right amount.

My TSX will use 200ml between changes if I'm around 5000rpm or higher a lot.

Lumina doesn't burn anything - it's always right up. When it's very cold outside the oil filter will drip a bit but w/e - it's fookin cold. Oil pump drive seal just started to leak last fall - it's not on the ground yet though lol.

My RX-7 is designed to inject oil and burn it - so yes it burns oil. As to how much it depends how it's driven (meter is variable).

My Mom's Acura CL is similar to my TSX - will only use a touch it it is driven hard, and it isn't so it doesn't use any lol.

My Dad's F150 doesn't use a drop.

My sister's Grand Vitara is leak free as well. The most common leak that will happen to her car is the transfer case input seal.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think much at all. I change my oil every 2,500 miles. Right before going in, the dipstick is full.

I do smell some burnt oil every now and then. It appears that there is some going from the manifold side of the front valve cover gasket in the 3800 V6. Still, it does not leak and my dipstick remains full. The vehicle now has 253,000 miles.

Until it actually begins to leak or lower the amount on the dipstick, I will not change the valve covers.

I don't think much at all. I change my oil every 2,500 miles. Right before going in, the dipstick is full.

I do smell some burnt oil every now and then. It appears that there is some going from the manifold side of the front valve cover gasket in the 3800 V6. Still, it does not leak and my dipstick remains full. The vehicle now has 253,000 miles.

Until it actually begins to leak or lower the amount on the dipstick, I will not change the valve covers.

wasn't that leak the cause of most of the 3800 fires??

wasn't that leak the cause of most of the 3800 fires??

I do believe so...

God you guys are lucky mine about a 1/2 to a quart a week. THere is no evidance of the leaking or smell (other than the exhause from the EGR). It's going some where and it's not telling me.

mine leaks maybe half a quart every 4000 miles, it used to leak all the time from the plastic valve cover gaskets, butt that was an easy fix.

and she has 185k on her now, so not too shabby.