Cutlass Knock - Fun stuff.

GP1138

Backstory - yeah, pretty much my fault. I couldn't hear lifters ticking in the engine when the oil got low enough (typical 3.4L oil pump drive seal leak) that the lifters ticked, so the other day I sent Carri to get oil while I was at work, but ice storm got so bad she just had to go home.

So the next day (Christmas Eve) I stop and put some oil in, and then halfway to her parents' house, this starts very softly, and then after the party it idled smooth with no noise. Then this morning going to my parents' house it just started to do it much louder.

This is our only running vehicle (Ken is coming to help revive the Malibu around New Year's but until then...) so I have to drive it. I'm just guessing it's going to grenade soon, but I don't know. I figure I'll end up having to put an engine in it, which is alright, I know I can get a decent engine (maybe 3400 or 3800) for $200 or so, but it's just a matter of installing it...

I have been thinking rod bearing?? Let's hear your guess!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• Crazy K

• AWeb80

• ManicMechanic

Yup, that is without a doubt, rod knock. Suck to hear man, but waiting until the lifters to make noise to tell you to add oil isnt a smart idea as when they start ticking like that, you are doing internal damage.

Just put another LQ1 in it. Honestly, the more I look into the LQ1, the more i realize that its an engine I without a doubt wanna starts playing with. Hell, its what will be going in my TGP :twisted: with a different intake mainifold of course

Game Over.

Welcome to the blown up engine crew :high5:

Quite frankly waiting till the lifters starting making noise before adding oil was just asking for it.

Be a EASY swap out though, if you had another engine lined up and a warm weekend it could be back on the road by Monday, having started work on a Saturday.

I wish I had a spare LQ1 for you, however with me fixing the Euro it is now spoken for.

Oh I know it's my fault... I should have been more on top of the oil level. At least this gives me a chance to get ahold of an engine and fix it a little. Once we get the Malibu running we'll be fine with transportation. I'm contemplating what to do. I might just yank this engine out and toss it, and buy another, throw it on a stand, and fix it up.

Don't know. It has to make it another few days till when Ken comes and we can fix the Malibu.

I will read this in a second.

I had something similar happen to the GP, I pulled this out of the block.

I changed the oil and I've always used Amsoil, it stopped doing it now, lol.

Um...the noise on the vid seems to be upper end, like under the valve covers...maybe that is just an effect of the mic compression.

Rod knock will be even, constant, and comes from the bottom. If I didn't know better (and I have NEVER worked on a 3.4DOHC, so I don't have specific knowledge...but I have a LOT of general when it comes to blowing up stuff and having to fix it), I would say you have something in the upper end loose. I know that there are no rocker arms, but that is what it would sound like if you had one come off. Are there not some sort of follower that the cam lobes ride against to operate the valves? If you flatten a lobe on a cam and provide ALOT of clearance between the lobe and the follower/valve tip it could sound like that....

I think you need to pull the front valve cover off and look around for loose stuff. If you don't want to do that, if you have a peice of PVC pipe so that you can use that as a "stethescope" to help pinpoint the source of the noise, that might help in the diagnosis.

Sorry it happened....

eeeeeeh It sounds like just about every front drive GM that has a spun bearing, that I have personally heard. In fact it sounds exactly like my 3.4L in my z34 right now :bash:

wow that sounds horrible.

but very inconsistent....too bad you weren't closer, I'd pay you scrap money for the motor.....and I'd tear it apart and make stuff out of it....

I'd give you at least $100

She's dead. Took her to put some Rislone in (like IronDogg suggested in another thread) and she refuses to even crank now.

[me=CS1138]plays Taps on bugle.[/me]

She's stuck in the Autozone parking lot. Not too far from home but not sure how I'll get her home.