Door Lock Frozen

BXX

Oh, this is fantastic, really fantastic. Happened yesterday when I got home, couldnt open my door.. Why you ask?

Heres why

My outside door handle broke last week. Ive been reaching in from the passenger side to open it from the inside

Guess what, not it wont open from the inside. Fricken lock linkage has frozen and is bound up too.. Cant open from the inside, cant open from the outside. Im 6'1" and 250 lbs.. Me vs my center console,not a good thing, something is gonna break, and it wont be me :lol:

The key does go in and turn from the outside, but not all the way to unlock which tells me its prolly a linkage issue or what happened last week, the actual lock/latch froze solid. Warming it up worked last time.

I have her running outside. Its 0 degrees F. My car started somehow. Frozen batteries still start amazingly :willynilly: :lol: Good ol 5 year old Napa piece of crap refuses to die. I figure, I will let her warm up for about and hour and go retry. Should be warm enough on the inside to unfreeze the linkage or whatever.

If not, im gonna have to destroy the door panel :willynilly:

I had this happen last night because I had washed the car. I drove the car around for an hour with heat on high and it seemed to loosen back up.

Thats what im hoping for.. I know my door tends to get a bit too much water in the jambs that likes to freeze. Hell, the damn door trigger stocks too because of it and sometimes I end up driving around with my interior lights on :willynilly: Luckily, it wont drain the battery at night since it gets cut after 15 minutes

Mission Accomplished!!! :willynilly: :lol:

Door is open. Once it got warmed up enough, I unlocked then locked it with the power door lock for about a minute and it free'd up. Door opened right up. Once I got her open, I hosed down the lock assembly/latch and door triggers with de-icer with some teflon crap in it. Hopefully that will help

My Lumina had the same issue today - both doors wouldn't open. I plugged it in all day (has an interior warmer in the car)..so it warmed up pretty fast and got the doors going again. Fucking car lol.

I wigged out last night I thought my door handle broke. I had to go out the passenger door at the gas station it sucks. I also put some decent scratches in my leather seats because of climbing over the seats...I was PISSED.

If I had a dime for every time first gen doors have kept me out of my cars i'd be a very rich man!

you might be able to free it up if you had a way to inject rubbing alcohol into the lock???

For me it wasn't the lock it was the latch or something. Both handles would move but I would feel no resistance and nothing would happen.

I had that happen earlier this week. I had pulled the handle and it unlocked something but the door wouldn't budge. Got a crowbar out and wedged the door open.

I just got done replacing BOTH door handles on our 92 GP.

They both broke off under the cover, inside the door!

The upper part of the handle looked fine.

Winter is already kicking my ASS!

-12* this morning, but I got the door open and the engine started!

Just to clarify, my door would not unlock. It was a problem with the latch it wasn't frozen to the car.

I plan on greasing my weatherstripping over break.

Same here with me, the latch freezes after it locks and it wont unlock until it thaws out.

Mine seems ok for now, when I get the time, I will pull my door panel off (gotta reconnect my stock speaker wiring anyway) and lube everything up

I use the cabby method (friend of mine was a cabby) he always told me if I was going to wash my car in the winter to wash it then bring it outside and open everydoor including the hood and trunk, wait a good 3 minutes then slam the doors closed to break away any ice.

In the winter, I'll bodyslam my door just before I open it to break any ice loose, especially before I pull on any 2-door W handle. It seems to help.

Last time my door wouldn't open, I tried bodyslamming my door, and guess what, IT OPENED!

My problem with mine I have is that when its really cold outside the door wont latch when I close it until it warms up. So now I keep a bungie cord in my car to keep the door closed until the interior warms up and the door finally latches closed.

My problem with mine I have is that when its really cold outside the door wont latch when I close it until it warms up. So now I keep a bungie cord in my car to keep the door closed until the interior warms up and the door finally latches closed.

Bwahaha, I can just picture you driving down the road and the door flings open on the bungy and snaps back and shatters the glass :lol:

Quite lubing up your womens undergarments and go lube the latch really good. Clean it first, should fix the problem.

Hopefully I will be hitting the yard with Ken sometime this weekend or next week. All I want for Christmas is a new outside door handle :lol: :lol:

LOL yeah Ive used the lube, but honestly havnt driven my car in over a month since the move. BTW Pull A Part opened a new yard on the east side of Cleveland. Both are about the same distance from me time wise and the one on the east side has more 95+ CS.

LOL yeah Ive used the lube, but honestly havnt driven my car in over a month since the move. BTW Pull A Part opened a new yard on the east side of Cleveland. Both are about the same distance from me time wise and the one on the east side has more 95+ CS.

Dude!!! We need to hit it up then. Nothing like a fresh yard. I knew they were gonna be opening, but I didnt know when..

How far do you live from me know?? Are you at least closer to the yards now?? What have you been rolling in since the move, I need to head out there sometime and check out your new castle.

Time wise its about a 10 minute less drive just because its not as much a straight shot as it was from Mansfield. You are still at least an hour away from me. You do need to get over here b4 I get the Trans Am running because its leaving for good to make room for working space.

I'm having the same drama right now with a broken handle plus the inside latch not working. Lock doesn't unlock all the way, etc. If warming up the car doesn't do it, what's next? Locksmith or body shop? :willynilly: