Donnelly & gentex Rear view mirror. What wires go where?

Drummer

there's 4 wires pink, light green, black, and brown. I've heard that pink is a switched hot, light green was for reverse, black i think was ground, and might brown be for the map lights? I read a post for the gentex mirrors but wasn't sure if thier the same.

Should be the same, but do yourself a favor, get a Gentex mirror. Read a thread about the Donnelly's and you will know they tend to leak out the fluid that allows them to autodim

I have a Gentex and I am quite happy with it

eh well he has it already. May as well use it till (if) it breaks.

You were lucky to even find an autodim with maplights. I think you're on the right track for wire designations.

i was pretty sure about the designations but wasn't positive about them, but thanks for the help.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the maplights would work. The maplights *should* have a non-switched 12V source going to them, and have a separate ground that's tied into the switched ground circuit. I can double check the wiring diagram when I get the chance, but that will probably be night time on the 25th or the 26th.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the maplights would work. The maplights *should* have a non-switched 12V source going to them, and have a separate ground that's tied into the switched ground circuit. I can double check the wiring diagram when I get the chance, but that will probably be night time on the 25th or the 26th.

that would be sweet if you could whenever you have the time, i'm not driving my GP for a year anyways so whenever.

i would but the only gentex with map lights has a compass in it i think, and i don't want 2 compasses in my car :willynilly: and i have no dome light because of my sun roof.

You could do like I did in my cutlass,  Grabbed an auto dimming mirror with a compass and no maplights, (or just the autodimming one) and then  I grabbed a Dome light from an STE and wired that in to the wiring that used to go to the lights on the mirror.  The car I grabbed the dome light from also had a sunroof and there is a mounting area in the sunroof for the light to snap in place. 

The light also had 2 adjustable map lights on it as well. 

Not the best picture, but you can sorta see the dome light mounted.

100_3296.jpg

i'll have to look out for one in case my mirror goes, but where does the button go for the sun roof, since thats where the cubbyhole map light thing would go? Either way it would make the drivers side look more like a

air plane cockpit. :lol:

i'll have to look out for one in case my mirror goes, but where does the button go for the sun roof, since thats where the cubbyhole map light thing would go? Either way it would make the drivers side look more like a

air plane cockpit. :lol:

I guess I should have been more specific. The dome light i'm talking about goes right behind the sunroof. Take a look right at the top of the picture, behind the sunroof opening. Thats the light that I put in, not the one with the storage cubby that is where the sunroof switch goes. Although the ASC sunroof on my 89 Regal just has a hole cut in the cubby with the switch mounted in that :lol:

Ok so luckily i got a gentex auto dim mirror with compass, temp. and LED map lights out of a intrigue, and i'm not exactly sure where the temp. probe is for it. Does anyone know where it would be located? Thanks.

And also has anyone figured out how to get around the bcm thing with the led map lights on these gentex mirrors, or would i be able to plug them in to the courtesy lights.