Goodyear Feedback (rant about Eagle GT/HR's)

Brian P

I've seen Michelins dry rot well before their tread had worn down, though. To be fair, most of them were Michelin MXV4's which were OEM for many cars, and a set I bought for my sister's GP.

How old were they? The old michelins on my dads K5 had about 70,000+ miles on them, still had tread and were 10yrs old, but started to dry rot.

I'll add in my 3 cents about tires............

First off, I sell them. As in ME. I'm the service manager at my dealership, so *I* get to pick what to recomend to the customers (and truth be told, I know more about tires than all of my techs/parts guys combined).

That being said, I also have a lot of experience with tires since I go THROUGH them all the time (mostly summer tires), and have seen the results of use and missuse on thousands of cars.

BUT..........I am a Buick/GMC/Dodge dealer in the upper midwest, so I DON'T see *all* of the tires out there (very few straight summer tires and, believe it or not, very few true snows).

Where Goodyear is concerned, the best value tire they have made in the passenger all-season category the last decade is the Regatta II..............HANDS DOWN.

They last a MINIMUM of 50K for my customer's (again, lotso Buick owners), with many going 60-80K. They are fairly resistant to cupping (you can go about 15K miles without a rotate before the rears start to visibly cup), and also resist center and shoulder wear from over/under inflation. In addition, they are quiet on almost all pavement types and offer very respectable snow/ice traction. Pretty good price too.

Obviously I sell lots.........

OEM Goodyears on the other hand are virtually all CRAP.

Invicta GA's (I STILL have some little old lady's with dry-rotted ass Invicta's on their A Body Centurys) are crap. They dry rot (did I mention they dry rot a LOT :rolleyes:), cup big time, wear the shoulders off and....um.....suck.

Eagle GA's are quiet but wear out fast (30-45K most of the time), and are only so.so in the snow.

Eagle GT II's are the worst tires EVER in the rain (hydrolplane city), and aren't much better in the dry (NOT a performance tire)...........but they ARE very decent in the snow and wear like IRON. And remember the "Nascar #1"........yeah, that's a GT II with yellow letters...........gay.

Eagle LS's (and LS2's) also wear fast, suck in the wet, cup easy AND have a BIG propensity to have the cap and sidwall belts start to seperate when worn...........this causes bulges read seperation and all kinds of fun stuff. A good set CAN be ok, but they are the exception, NOT the rule.

Conquests...........um............they are just dogshit. Think of any tire attribute and the Conquests SUCK. End of story.

And finally........Intergrity's.....they have 3 different styles (ALL *named* the same thing....no hyphens or anything.....just "Integrity"). The style found on Dodge Caravans wear the shoulders fast, but DAMN they are good in the snow (NOT so great on ice though....), and can last 70K if treated well............but you HAVE to be anal with tire inflation. The style found on Lacrosse's ALSO wear off the shoulders BIG time.........AND are only "ok" in the snow. But they are almost IMPOSSIBLE to cup (have seen some go 30K without a rotation and NOT be ruined). And finally style #3............are OEM on 17inch wheel equiped Rendezvous and Terraza's, and on some Park Avenues. They WILL cup in 6-8K miles, are RUINED within 15-20K (the cupping is too deep for the to ever come out of it), wear the shoulders off (weird how ALL intergrity's do this), and only last 35-50K.

FAIL!!

The moral?

If you are going to buy a Goodyear, do NOT get any of their OEM shit tires.

Oh............BTW, I have BFG Traction T/A's in 195/60HR14 on the Neon for winter use. They have about 20K on them, still have 8/32in tread left (10/32 brand new), are GREAT in the snow for an all season (not THAT far behind my Pilot Alpins I have on the Prelude), very decent in the rain and adequete (for an all season) in the dry.......way (WAY) softer sidewalls than the 205/50R15 Azenis RT 615's I run on that car in summer though...........

And where the Eagle HR's are concerned............they offer limited straight line traction, squeel loud as hell in corners and aren't too great in the white stuff. But they DO wear pretty well in my opinion..........don't know a whole lot else about them though (I've only *abused* one set ON a car, driven one other set in the snow and don't see very many on customer cars).

What other tires do you want to know about ??

:lol: :wink:

Exactly what I woulda said bigbuls :cool:

To make another note, the Regatta 2s are discontinued and arent being made anymore.

All 3 Integrities are junk. Their crappy weak and soft sidewalls cause the shoulders to wear out like hell

Good info, thanks. I hadn't experienced any of the entry-level Goodyears. The only ones kept in stock @ my old job were one set of 225/60/16 Regatta II's, but they would never sell since they were marked up so much higher than the "store brand" Coopers. IIRC they went for around $130 a piece while the other tires were in the $70-90 range.

I really haven't seen this level of tread splitting on the GT/HR's and I don't even know if it could be classified as dry rot. I might still be able to grab them from the tire shed if they're still in there, and snap a few pics to see if this is familiar to anyone. I would be more "satisfied" had this not occurred, since after over 50k of mostly highway driving, I had enough tread depth to still get by.

I got caught in tonight's snow storm in the Olds with the newly mounted Traction T/A's and they were flawless. I was climbing up hills without breaking a sweat, while a bunch of cars (many FWD's) couldn't do it.

Michelin are my tires. I through on some X radials. I have never had a problem with them. They have been the best damn tires i have ever had. I will stay with them 'til cant drive anymore.

P205/70R15 95T Michelin® X® Radial DT

Any questions?

I, too, am a Michelin X buyer. My AWD has them, and althou its on its second set in 40k miles, it wasnt the tires fault, it was my wifes lack of driving skills (not paying attention + curb = new tires and new rims). They have the best traction in the snow I have ever had. My only complaint about them is that Michelin now tells there dealers that they do not make a bad tire straight from the factory. Well, I dont buy that. A rubber air pocket, a little tire heat, and you have a blow out.

My TGP has the Yoko AS430's. Great traction for dry roads, and the track. Not so great for the wet stuff. As soon as that turbo boost hits, the tires spin, and you go no where.

My old Lincoln had some of those GoodYear AquaTreads. Worst tire I have ever had. Uneven wear, tread seperation, everything.

My over the road truck has GoodYears on it. They ride quieter, and smoother, then the other tires I have had befor. But have shit for traction in the snow. There just isnt enough sipeing.

My TGP has Yokohama Avid V4S on it. I am very happy with them; they have excellent traction in all conditions. Even when there is standing water on the roads, I have never hydroplaned with these tires. They do not hook up well in snow though.. In dry conditions, you have to try pretty hard to lose traction on these tires. Makes for great cornering.

i cannot stand goodyear tires...they are overpriced pieces of garbage...i wouldnt put them on my lawnmower. They wear out waay to fast (had to replace all 4 on the gtp @ 19k miles) and when the tread starts to wear they get very scary on wet roads...

I love Maries Traction TA Vs on here Aurora excellent in snow and ice and balanced very easily !

Cool, same experience here, especially with all the snow and ice here the last week. I ended up hitting a 4 x 4 piece of wood on the highway today, thought it'd have screwed up the inner sidewall but it was fine!!!

was that the stock tires? RSA's, right?

yeah

i have bridgestone potenzas now and they were pretty cheap from tire rack ($65 each i think) and they are awwsome in the snow and rain. :high5:

I have goodyear tripletreds which I like a lot. I had crap Firestone FR 440's before that. I would stay away from goodyear besides tripletreds or F1.

The top 3 all seasons I can recommend from experience are:

Goodyear TripleTred

BF Goodrich Traction T/A

Bridgestone Potenza G009

I also am a big fan of my Blizzak ws-50 winter tires!

I think this thread jinxed me.. Went to work this morning, and I ended up getting a flat on one of my Hankooks.. By the time I realized it was flat, it was too late, and when the shop took it off, the inside of the tire was shredded down to the belts.. So now I have a Goodyear Viva 2 on with the rest of my Hankooks... Damn it..

I have Viva 2's on the Bonneville. Got them for an insane price mounted and balanced so I couldn't pass up.

Now I'm regretting them. Snow/Ice traction blows ass. Seriously, I've never had a set of tires that didn't grip, at all. Even when the roads are wet, and I am a very grandpa-ish driver, they seem to want to spin.

On a positive note, I've put tons of miles on them with minimal wear. They ride pretty well, and have minimal road noise.

I think come spring, I'm going to pick up a different set of tires, and sell these. I should be able to get out of them what I paid (yes, that good of a deal).

I had Goodyear Eagle LS tires on my Millenia and they performed quite well even when they were worn down to the wear bars. Hell I drove to Vancouver and back on the wear bars lol..

The TSX has Michelin Pilot tires on it for summer time, and I'm running Michelin X-Ice for winter. I'm happy with both setups for what they are used for. The day it snowed is the day the winter tires went on - no idea how the Pilot's react in snow. I'd assume pretty shitty since my buddy had them last spring on his IS300 during the time when everything melted during the day and slippery at night).

The Lumina has a Hankook Ventus 101 tires and do just fine for summer. I got them used from my buddy and they've lasted another two summers and probably have another one or two left (bought them with 7/32"-8/32")..

My RX-7 has a set of 12 year old Bridgestone Potenza RE900s on it. They will probably rot off the car well before being worn off lol.

My Mom's CL still has the OEM Michelin Energy tires on it 11 years old. They are dry rotted badily and will probably be replaced in spring (lots of tread but unsafe pretty soon)..it's sitting beside the house for winter.