• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• 88red4cyl

• 5speedz34

• ManicMechanic

Well, we are trying to find if ANY 1997 Lumina got the 3.4...Many have said yes, I've seen them, I'fe gotten parts off them, whatever but have offered nothing in the way of proof.

for shits n' giggles i looked on autozone.com and under engine selection for a '97 lumina they do have a 3.4 as an optioned engine.

and on advanceauto, they list the '97 ls as having just a 3.1 and an ltz having a 3.4. here's the link for it. not sure if it works. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/VehicleSelection.aspx?DestinationPage=%2fDefault.aspx&Year=1997&make=CHEVROLET&Model=LUMINA

I'm reading online that the '97 LTZ did come standard with a 3.4 DOHC. But also in the same articles there are gross errors to go with this information as well, so I can't take what's said as gospel.

for shits n' giggles i looked on autozone.com and under engine selection for a '97 lumina they do have a 3.4 as an optioned engine.

and on advanceauto, they list the '97 ls as having just a 3.1 and an ltz having a 3.4. here's the link for it. not sure if it works. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/VehicleSelection.aspx?DestinationPage=%2fDefault.aspx&Year=1997&make=CHEVROLET&Model=LUMINA

i've said it for months now......pics or the info is bogus...... :D

i've said it for months now......pics or the info is bogus...... :D

i agree. a VIN would have better proof. i was thinking that the info i posted would be almost proof :lol:

I would think that in the 2 months this debate has been going on, someone would be able to come up with at least 1 picture of a LTZ with the LQ1... That is a pretty strong indicator to me that it, in fact, does not exist...

I havent really been making any attempts to find a picture.

Even if you were, I highly doubt you could find one... Someone may run across a pic of a LQ1 Lumi in which someone changed the front/rear fascia, but I don't think it will be an authentic LTZ...

And as far as the auto zone website goes, it does not list a percentage of cars that have the LQ1 for 97... For all the other years, at least the ones I checked, it had the percentage for each motor the cars got...

FYI, the 97's may have the optional 3.4 DOHC motor in them. If you are unfamiliar with them, you may want to familiarize yourself with that engine. Personally, they don't bother me I like them, but others will differ on that.

every '97 LTZ that I have ever seen has always had the 3100. I read that the LQ1 was available but I won't believe it until I actually see one.

I've only ever seen 1... and it was brand new when my parent's were looking for my 97 to replace their 93 (so this was summer of 97). It was torch red and on the show room floor at Bob Johnson Chevy in Rochester, and my dad wanted it, until he opened the hood and said "I'm not dealing with that engine" and the salesman insisted he drove it and buy it, so my dad got mad and left.

Aside from that, I've never seen a 97 LTZ with an LQ1. I was 11 at the time, so I never thought I'd be addicted to these cars so I never thought about it again...until now.

Wow- they really must be RARE. I had no idea they were that uncommon...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a '97 LTZ with the LQ1 myself, but I'm not positive.

Why's your dad not dealing with the old LQ1 engine, bro?

FYI, the 97's may have the optional 3.4 DOHC motor in them. If you are unfamiliar with them, you may want to familiarize yourself with that engine. Personally, they don't bother me I like them, but others will differ on that.

every '97 LTZ that I have ever seen has always had the 3100. I read that the LQ1 was available but I won't believe it until I actually see one.

I've only ever seen 1... and it was brand new when my parent's were looking for my 97 to replace their 93 (so this was summer of 97). It was torch red and on the show room floor at Bob Johnson Chevy in Rochester, and my dad wanted it, until he opened the hood and said "I'm not dealing with that engine" and the salesman insisted he drove it and buy it, so my dad got mad and left.

Aside from that, I've never seen a 97 LTZ with an LQ1. I was 11 at the time, so I never thought I'd be addicted to these cars so I never thought about it again...until now.

Wow- they really must be RARE. I had no idea they were that uncommon...

I'm pretty sure I've seen a '97 LTZ with the LQ1 myself, but I'm not positive.

Why's your dad not dealing with the old LQ1 engine, bro?

I still stand by my statement that if they existed, there would be one picture of one on the internet (on which you can find pictures of anything)...