97-99 Lumina LTZ models

oz37k

Hello All,

I plan to sell my 93 Caprice LTZ soon and will start looking for a 97-99 Lumina LTZ. How hard are they to come by?

I slept on one being offered to me last year, it was dark green metallic, tan leather, 66k mi, 4 wheel disk brakes, in very mint condition since it was elderly owned. It was maintained regularly with receipts and records, waxed once a month, only 1 person ever rode in it (driver) and was stuffed in a garage year round. The lady that was selling it to me wanted $1,500 for it since she bought herself a new Lexus and had no use for it. Damn, I now regret not buying it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremy

• 88red4cyl

• 5speedz34

• ManicMechanic

...that would have been a good purchase. Ltz's in good condition are fairly hard to come by

why 97-99?

97 has the 3.4 (LQ1) (or could you still get the 3.1 in 97?) ltz's were weird in what engines they had

98-99 has 3800 (L36)

Which engine do you want?

I would really like a 98-99 for the 3.8 but if I come by a 97 in mint condition I would pick it up in heartbeat. I just like the way the cars look, kind of like the 94-96 Impalas.

FYI, the 97's may have the optional 3.4 DOHC motor in them. If you are unfamiliar with them, you may want to familiarize yourself with that engine. Personally, they don't bother me I like them, but others will differ on that.

every '97 LTZ that I have ever seen has always had the 3100. I read that the LQ1 was available but I won't believe it until I actually see one.

my cutlass has a 97 lumina lq1 in it

and??? .....post up some pics of an LTZ with an LQ1 and I will agree that they exist. I have never seen one in the 11+ years that they have been around

found this on wikipedia about what cars the 3.4 and what it went in

[edit] LQ1

The LQ1 (also called the Twin Dual Cam or TDC) was a 3.4 L DOHC V6 motor ("X-code") based on the aluminum headed second generation of GM's 60° engine line, sharing a similar block with its pushrod cousins, the 3.1 L LH0 V6 and the then recently retired 2.8 L LB6 V6. The motor was built only for front wheel drive applications, and was featured exclusively in the first generation of GM's W-body platform.

It was built from 1991 to 1997. From 1991 to 1993, it used tuned multi-port fuel injection, made 200-210 HP (150-160 kW) @ 5200 RPM and 215 ft·lbf (290 Nm) of torque @ 4000 RPM. From 1994 to 1997, it used sequential port fuel injection, making 215 hp (160 kW) @ 5200 rpm and 225 ft·lbf (300 Nm) of torque @ 4000 rpm. It had four large valves per cylinder. The 3.4 L engine used a cogged belt to drive the four overhead camshafts. Adapting a pushrod block for the LQ1's overhead cams was difficult, and the 60° angle made this a very tall engine, but power output was impressive.

Bore was increased to 92 mm, but the 3.1 L engine's 84 mm stroke was retained. There are only a few interchangeable parts between this DOHC engine and other members of the 60° family, namely the connecting rods and crankshaft.

The heads and intake manifolds were redesigned for the 1996 model year, incorporating a larger throttle body and plenum area, slightly shorter intake runners, cloverleaf combustion chambers, and larger "pill"-shaped exhaust ports. Camshafts and cam timing were also revised for the new, higher RPM powerband.

Optional from 1991 to 1993 was a Getrag 284 5-speed manual transaxle, which was also exclusive to the GM W platform and was available only with the LQ1. The electronically controlled Hydramatic 4T60-E 4-speed automatic transaxle was the alternative, used during the entire production run.

Applications:

1991-1994 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 and the Euro 3.4 sedan

1991-1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

1991-1996 Pontiac Grand Prix

1995-1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34

1995-1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ

every '97 LTZ that I have ever seen has always had the 3100. I read that the LQ1 was available but I won't believe it until I actually see one.

......plus everyone knows that if it is on wikipedia then it must be true :rolleyes: ....hell, I could go edit that right now and say that it was never available......

FYI, the 97's may have the optional 3.4 DOHC motor in them. If you are unfamiliar with them, you may want to familiarize yourself with that engine. Personally, they don't bother me I like them, but others will differ on that.

I've only ever seen 1... and it was brand new when my parent's were looking for my 97 to replace their 93 (so this was summer of 97). It was torch red and on the show room floor at Bob Johnson Chevy in Rochester, and my dad wanted it, until he opened the hood and said "I'm not dealing with that engine" and the salesman insisted he drove it and buy it, so my dad got mad and left.

Aside from that, I've never seen a 97 LTZ with an LQ1. I was 11 at the time, so I never thought I'd be addicted to these cars so I never thought about it again...until now.

I still stand by the statement, pics or they don't exist. My father was a finance manager and also was in charge or ordering/trading vehicles for the dealer inventory as well at a large Chevy dealer from 94-01. He has told me me before that he had never seen one either.

i know im been doing the same but damn its hard enough just finding a 97 ltz there aronly like 6 for sale nation wide and only like 5 on cardomain and i cant find any thing anywhere else

x2 There are several 97 LTZ's running around here, and they all have the 3100.. I do not think the LQ1 was ever in the LTZ...

I thought the 1997 LTZ came with a 3100 and had the 3.4L as an option, but that's mainly from my wikipedia'ing. When I bought my LTZ, I googled the shit out of them. I couldn't find any with 3.4L. Obviously then, mine has the 3100. :dunno: